Plumber's Putty - Asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All.

I have noticed a strange brown sealant putty around the joints between the plastic piping and the metal drain of this old toilet and wonder whether it might be one of the types that contains asbestos? The stuff on the lower joint looks especially dark and “fibrous” although it’s hard to figure out whether that is just fluff and dust that has adhered to the putty, or even discolouration from rust or even damp mould?

Either way, I would gratefully value your expert opinions before charging in and disturbing anything potentially toxic. Many thanks in advance for any insights you might have.
DSC00731.JPG
DSC00735.JPG

Sponsored Links
Look at the sh#te and pish all over the elbow and tiles and your worried about the seal

Sponsored Links
Mr. gas112, could any comments not pertinent to the immediate query be directed to the 85-year-old lady we're trying to help out here? From what I gather, the two more constructive replies seem to indicate that there may be a problem of toxic materials in the seal.

You'll be fine removing red lead putty with a pair of rubber gloves on

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back