Spray-on sealant for leaky pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Recently, I discovered that the stop-tap in the kitchen has a small leak (it's not just condensation on a cold pipe, as I at first thought). It's not exactly running a stream onto the floor under the cooker, but there is enough water on the floor (when the cooker is dragged out) to need mopping up, after a few days have passed. I have not ascertained, yet, exactly where the seepage is coming from, as there are various nuts etc. near to this tap, and it's not easy to find out where the leak is.

In a magazine, I saw a spray-on sealant advertised, and thought that this would be quicker and more convenient, than asking a plumber to tighten up whatever needs tightening (or renewing). Besides, a plumber might not want to be bothered with such a small job.

However, I find it rather hard to believe that a sealant can be sprayed onto a leaking joint (even if it is first dried as much as possible), and get it to really seal a leak. Does anyone out there have any experience of this kind of sealant spray, and can say whether it worked for them (or not)? If it did, I should be grateful to know the name of the spray they used. By the way, I should be buying in the UK.

With thanks for any useful comments/reports, whether negative or positive.
L.L.

Sponsored Links
Snake oil! Might as well consult a witch doctor and smear the blood of a black cockerel on it!:whistle:

Post a picture pointing out where you think it is seeping from one of us may be able to point you in the right direction(y)

Snake oil! Might as well consult a witch doctor and smear the blood of a black cockerel on it!:whistle:

Post a picture pointing out where you think it is seeping from one of us may be able to point you in the right direction(y)

Well, my scepticism seems to have been well-place then. Footprints, the picture I am posting shows the pools clearly enough, and it certainly seems as if they came from the actual tap, because they are in line with its handle. When I put my bone-dry fingers to the tap, they immediately became very wet (it seemed to be wettest at the point where the handle goes into the body of the tap — I hope the washer is not needing replacement). To you, Footprints, it may seem to be a very simple thing to tighten up this tap. However, I have to confess that I'm scared stiff of messing with taps (especially a stop-tap). However, if you would be kind enough to point out what should be tightened, I would screw up my courage, and have a go. (I have visions of something snapping and causing a flood, it being a stop-tap.) However, for this leak to continue unaddressed is not sensible, is it? The tap is about twenty-five years old. I don't seem to remember turning it off and on very often.
Thanks for the response!
L.L.
20210308_145002.jpg

Sounds like the gland leaking the small nut directly around the spindle it needs repacking but often a slight tighten will stop it I have attached a video link.
I would advise not to pick out the old packing as the original "string" he mentions was spindletwist and sometimes contained asbestos string I have been told, so best to just pack on top that's what I do anyway.(y)

Sponsored Links
PS the crusting on the elbow above is an old leak that has sealed up with scale worth renewing at some point but your current problem is the gland.;)

Sounds like the gland leaking the small nut directly around the spindle it needs repacking but often a slight tighten will stop it I have attached a video link.
I would advise not to pick out the old packing as the original "string" he mentions was spindletwist and sometimes contained asbestos string I have been told, so best to just pack on top that's what I do anyway.(y)
PS the crusting on the elbow above is an old leak that has sealed up with scale worth renewing at some point but your current problem is the gland.

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/spray-on-sealant-for-leaky-pipe.566194/#ixzz6oXO7R2w1

Footprints, I'm very grateful for your help — thanks a million! I shall fit this job into a gap in my other chores, later. However, what you have posted has given me immediate peace of mind. The video is so simple that even a coward like me feels able to have a go at this job!
L.L.

Back