Shower cabinet - places to NOT use sealant - and detect leak - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I've a shower cabinet with some leak (water droplets ) to the room downstairs.

I was fairly certain the sealant is at fault - tested by just letting water go in the shower tray - no leak.
But If I spray a certain point where the door closes (seen in pic 2) I get water drops which becomes quicker with more volume.

I've enclosed pics of the outside (pic 1 ) where the sealant seems intact with no water. So I first re-sealed the outside with sealant and used the shower - leak again! Then I put in some sealant at the place where we suspected the leak to be (near the door) but I still get water leaking.

Two questions - Firstly should the place near the door and glass (pic 3) be left with no sealant at all to allow water that has escaped to return back? I was watching a handyman video and he pointed out my amateur mistake. Is it possible that by putting the sealant I've trapped water with no place to go but down?

Secondly - if that area should be left free with no sealant, is it the outside that's surely the culprit ?

Just a bit confused and lost!

Desperate to find the source of the leak!
1 Outside of the cabinet near the door.jpg
2 Point of leak near the sliding door.jpg
3 Glass side next to the door.jpg

Any suggestions and advice welcome. Looking for help! :)

Many Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If its leaking through the door where it seals with frame, check if the seal or door position can be adjusted, adding sealant there won’t help.

A loose fitting on the waste underneath the shower tray might also be the culprit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back