How do I apply sealant to this part of the shower enclosure please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan to re-seal my shower as some of the sealant has gone mouldy. I've read that the shower enclosure should be sealed from the outside (photo of shower enclosure attached). Is this correct?
I am unsure on how this "square" should be sealed as there is no lip from the shower tray to spread the sealant and it may be a coincidence but this is where its currently leaking from.
165323-b25e7ad210e2179e5ac35863235b845d.jpg

Attachments

• 20190530_091339685_iOS.jpg
    20190530_091339685_iOS.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 199
  • 20190530_091348056_iOS.jpg
    20190530_091348056_iOS.jpg
    249 KB · Views: 200
Sponsored Links
First of all it needs cleaned and dried. Use a hair drier and ensure there is no water at all under the clip or glass. Then use a clear silicone to seal from end to end. Just coat it as well as you can, if it doesn't work then the clip needs to be unscrewed and you seal under it as it's being re-assembled

Yes you should seal on the outside of an enclosure.

Thanks @Madrab. I hadn't realised that the "square" thingy can be unscrewed. Are you suggesting that I unscrew it and push some sealant inside it before screwing back together?

In the past, I tried spreading some sealant across the face of it but this hasn't stopped water from trickling through.

With a lot these enclosures the block that hold the glass is screwed onto the frame, that being said yours may not, you should be able to see a screw at the back of it, if not then it's part of the bottom door frame. If that's the case that section would need to be removed, the whole section cleaned and dry and then refitted with some silicone underneath it.

The silicone probably didn't take before because there will be dirt and water underneath it

Sponsored Links
That frame has been fitted too close to the edge of the tray... All manufacturers give a minimum distance from tray edge in their MI's. If you know the manufacturer it may be worth getting in touch and obtaining some new parts for servicing, such as push on seals and cover caps (such as the block mentioned above) as it has tarnished.
Would also be useful to get hold of the MI's so you can see how it went together for removal of certain parts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back