Leak in the corner of shower door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy new year everyone! We have a leak from our shower door, and I think I've identified the leak to be where the red circle is showing in the first pic, on the outside of the shower door between the door frame and the shower tray base. From the inside (second pic), that area seems to be well-sealed so I suspect that water got in there from the sliding rail bit?

Now the questions is do we just seal the outside bit with silicone sealant pls? Or is there a better way of doing it please? Thanks a lot!

Attachments

• shower 1.jpg
    shower 1.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 142
  • shower 2.jpg
    shower 2.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 117
Sponsored Links
Hi,

Only a DIY'er so feel free to ignore! :)
The instructions for the shower panel I installed stated that the panel shouldn't be sealed on the inside; so that if any water did get into the channels, it had a way to escape.

Yes, it does need sealing on the outside, but given the state of some of that sealant, it may be worth stripping it all back and starting again! Sorry! :(

A common fault is that the tray needs sealed before the vertical post is fitted, i.e. behind the vertical post. If that hasn't been done you'll need to remove the door and frame and refit.

Sponsored Links
I'd be getting all the silicone cut out (inside and out) and the whole lot well cleaned (white spirits/brush cleaner/meths), then re-do the whole lot from the outside with a good quality anti mould sanitary silicone

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back