Plumbfix price hike - BEWARE!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Too good to be true? Well a bit!
I began to place an order today for a boiler and flue and was quoted a much higher price than in the catalogue. The over assertive sales girl was insistant that she had her VAT sums right, but didn't seem hear me quote the nett catalogue price, although I must have spoken it at least three times.
Turns out there is a new catalogue out which I haven't got yet, which meant a £30 increase on the boiler, so I sacked the order as I can get it cheaper locally.

UPDATE: I have to edit this bit as I was looking at the wrong column on the invoice - I am only about £14 worse off on the whole order, not the £154 I thought at 1.00 am this morning after beers! - which they were not willing to refund, but offered to refund diff. on boiler alone.

Radiators and stat were actually cheaper than previous catalogue, so cherry pick . . .

Interested to know if anyone else has experienced this.

They were giving me the prices inc. vat on phone as I ordered, and in the catalogue it's nett, so you can't tell if it's the same or not. Best to just include last 2 digits of item code, as they denote which catalogue your looking at - current is 76, red cover.

Sponsored Links
I have found that the plumbfix prices arent all that different from the screwfix price once you add the VAT, so I don't really see the point in why they did it in the first place.

Rico

When I place telephone orders I always get them to quote the price for each item so that I dont face that scenario.

The most usual supplier I do that with is BES who rarely have prices differing from their catalogue.

Screwfix had a very reasonable price for an item but never had it in stock! The next catalogue had a much higher price and it was then magically back in stock. Their items often change price when the next catalogue comes out so its always importent to check.
Now they have opened a trade center closer to me with half reasonable staff then I always pick things up there. They will also give me the telephone number so I can check if something is in stock.

Tony

Plumbfix /screwfix what a feking big con , Plumbfix mentioned all over corgi magazine and web site loads of free advertising and screwfix mentioned several times in every article.
Corgi singing there praises that they only sell to the trade and its going to be fantatic for safety etc yet the parent company who is gettin all the free advertising is selling to absolutely anyone.
Are corgi really that stupid or have people been dropping brown envelopes.

Bit like all the free advertising HRP got about not selling parts, well still to see the ones around my way refuse people

Sponsored Links
Dont trust the prices, arnt any different than screwfix prices by the time the vat has been added.

Copper prices are double than that mentioned in catalogue.

Went to order a baxi boiler which was on 'offer' and shock! They'd apparently run out and wern't gonna be getting any more in.

Unless you want burger king style service use ur preffered merchant.

Dont trust the prices, arnt any different than screwfix prices by the time the vat has been added.

Copper prices are double than that mentioned in catalogue.

Went to order a baxi boiler which was on 'offer' and shock! They'd apparently run out and wern't gonna be getting any more in.

Unless you want burger king style service use ur preffered merchant.

did you order your copper in Oct 08? read post dates....

I find their prices on plumbing fittings mostly about 10% less than screwfix.

But I find their system a convenient way to order and have it waiting for me to collect later.

I now order most of my bits from them because of the convenience.

As long as you buy one plumbfix listed part then you can get screwfix bits on the same order. Thats very useful.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back