Plumbing Advice Basement Toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I purchased a property 20 Months ago that has a small flat in the basement with a shower room and toilet. The toilet discharges down a pipe through the front of the property and joins a sewer some 30 metres away down the street where the street has a junction.

(I mention this as all my other waste goes out the back where there is another back street).

Anyway over the 20 Months I have had to call the council drain clearing services out 4 times to clear the drain for the basement which thay can do with a high pressure hose from a rodding eye (trap) in my front yard. The operation only takes a few seconds and sort's the problem out till the next time.

Clearly with it being in a basement and below street level the fall of the pipe probably means waste is not being cleared in the normal course of things sits and backs up the pipe till the blockage occurs. The length of the pipe and the fact it is only in use by 1 persons probably suggests the intervals between clearing.

I am considering putting a sanilav type device down there which will treat the waste and then pump it down the drain. The engineer when called to quote definitely thought it could assist the problem as the waste would only be (forgive me) at the consistency of porridge but would not guarantee this would be the case. (Which is understandable I suppose).

My question have any of you professional plumbers come across a similar situation and if so how did you solve it? The sanitop device supply and install would be £450 plus whatever it costs me to site the electric supply so its not excessive I am just looking for similar experiences informed opinion before I go ahead!!

Any replies gratefully received..[/b]

Sponsored Links
Have you had the drain company put a camera down the line to check for any problems yet?
The Council probably won't do this.

If not that would be the first thing to try, as putting a macerator in might just mask any problems for a while, but they will still be there.

Phone round & get some quotes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back