Plumbing help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Central heating issue which I am not sure about, so help needed please.

Just at the wrong time of year.. my central heating has stopped working (typically).

The heating will not come on when the thermostat kicks in. Last time I had this problem is was the battery on the thermostat, which i changed and all worked fine.. but tried that and it did not work. The boiler kicks in for the hot water.. and then the heating seems to come on, which I think points to the honeywell 3 way valve port thingy (model V4073A1039). BUT.. then all of a sudden the heating seemed to work just fine. Could the fault still be with the 3 way port valve thingy? I know its very old so could be the problem, but is this a typical type of fault that may happen with them?

I am guessing... that if the heating is set to come on and the valve is stuck in the position of the "hot water" then it will not come on as the hot water is hot enough? Is this right? I thought that if it was stuck at the hot water position in the y-plan then the heating would still run and the hot water would just boil over or something daft like that. Or is my worcester bosch 14/19cbi a clever boiler and it is laughing at me when it stops the hot water doing this? To me it sounds like it is stuck in the central position in the Y-plan and therefore the heating is only working when the heating is on.. but may also be working when it can manage to switch the port over to just heating.

Sorry if this does not make sense.. i am freezing and fed up as this has been a horrible week with integrated fridge freezer breaking, tumble dryer not heating up, oven elemetn going, oven door seal going and washing machine stopping in the middle of a cycle (again after replacing parts) so I decided to drink a bottle of wine to try and keep me warm.

Thanks in advance, any questions welcome and I would like to wish everyone on here a very Merry Christmas and a great new year. This is a fantastic forum that has helped me with so many problem around the house that would have cost me a fortune to get tradesmen in.

:D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Not really sure what your symptoms are. If the 3 port valve doesn't motor away from hot water only, the Synchron motor in it may have failed. It could be an intermittent fault, tho they usually fail outright when they go. Check that your batteries are still good in the wireless room 'stat.

You'll either have to do a bit of detective work, or call in a pro.

Hi,

The thermostat is hard wired.. just needs batteries for the display and the switch. Checked it and put new batteries in so its not that.

Just had pro out.. he has gone away scratching his head and to get a circuit tester :LOL:

He said there is power to the boiler but just wants to make sure its the correct voltage.

The heating and hot water came on this morning. Hot water was not as hot as it should be though. He tried turning the thermostat up on the boiler to see if he could create a demand but nothing happened. I boosted the heating and we heard the pump kick in, but then it switched itself off 2 mins later. Tried turning it off and boosting it again but nothing happened. No fault lights on the boiler. I think it is the main board in the boiler as it is not operating on the demand as boiler will switch the pump on.

Hi,

Just had pro out.. he has gone away scratching his head and to get a circuit tester :LOL:

He said there is power to the boiler but just wants to make sure its the correct voltage.

How can he be a professional if he does not have test equipment and cannot identify a simple fault?

He sounds like a plumber!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not that you have any right to question that.. but he works for national grid and has been an engineer for many years and is quite highly regarded in the trade for being one of the best. When he is not working his main job he helps friends and family out...And as he popped in on his way to go Christmas shopping with his daughter he said he would pop back later on in the evening and so some further testing.

If you are not going to bother commenting with something useful why dont you just not bother commenting?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back