.plumbing in a washing machime with small guage waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm gonna fit a kitchen that needs the service gap behind the units reduced to about 20mm. Can I use a waste pipe of that diameter to discharge the waste water?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Why does the service void need to be reduced? TBH, the appliance waste positioning should have been considered as part of that void reduction design decision.

Needs 40mm minimum from the point gravity takes over, anything smaller will never handle the flow. Options are, 40mm through or under the cabinets (provided you can get a fall on the run), or extend the discharge hose, (not recommended as may void the warranty on the machine.)

Why does the service void need to be reduced? TBH, the appliance waste positioning should have been considered as part of that void reduction design decision.
In order to get an open (not blind) corner cabinet in, I've got to cut down one side of a cabinet significantly. This will reduce the service void gap. I guess running the pipe inside the cabinet is the way to go.

You can get extensions for the pumped waste pipe

You can get extensions for the pumped waste pipe...
You could consider that, my (Zanussi) pumps out at ~ 20LPM into the stand pipe, if the ID of the pipe is say 18mm and then its run at floor level or a few inches off the ground and dischsrging into a open gully then 10M of 18mm pipe will require a pump head of ~ 1.1M or 1.7M at 15M, these washing machine pumps are probably very low head pumps but even so, they can (surely) produce a 1M head then should work OK except pump out time will be longer. You could go away and buy a some pipe of the proposed ID and the required lenth (or longer) and just run it out the door or where ever, you could then fill the machine and pump it out and see if it works, then run a normal wash to ensure it doesn't flag any "pump blocked" alarm. Even a pump out rate of 10LPM should'nt cause any problems IMO.

In order to get an open (not blind) corner cabinet in, I've got to cut down one side of a cabinet significantly. This will reduce the service void gap. I guess running the pipe inside the cabinet is the way to go.
It's always navigating the corners that tends to screw things up all the time. Unfortunately if you can't take it down below then through is the only real alternative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back