Plumbing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Not my disaster, but I think it's quite funny.

I went on holiday recently, and the first day I was away my mother (who lives nearby) found water dripping from her hallway ceiling. Knowing I was away, she phones my brother-in-law who lives 5 miles away.

He was putting up new fences for another relative, so stops what he is doing to race round to my mothers.

There was a leak around bottom feed to her cistern so he turns it off at the adjacent isolator valve and goes to get a replacement part.

Next day he returns to fit it.

While doing so he moves the vertical feed pipe very slightly ... and an old soldered elbow joint gave way (inspection showed it hadn't been soldered properly, but had been OK or >30 years until the slight movement caused it to give way).

He then has his finger over the pipe to stop her bungalow from being flooded by mains pressure water, shouting out to my mother to "turn the f.......g stop cock off!!".

She, being elderly, can't get under the sink to get to the stop cock, so runs over the road - in her nightdress and dressing gown - to a neighbour to ask him to help (which, to the great relief of my mother and brother in law he was able to do). B-in-law then goes on to replace the elbow and finish the original job.

I have to admit I was glad to be away and not cop that problem myself, but
have to laugh at the pictures that come to mind thinking about it.

Regards

Ray

Sponsored Links
Someone mentioned on here a while back that he always keeps a 15mm push-fit end cap in his pocket. Now you know why :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back