powercut now boiler not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys

my mother has had a power cut lasting around about 2 hours. Her potterton promax HE worked fine before this but is now not igniting. I told her to reset for 5 seconds - nothing and then turn it off/on. This got a little hot water but then nothing and is now showing an error code of E156 she has not been left a book (installed 18mths ago) and having searched I can't find this code?

Sods law on a night like this!

Sponsored Links
i know nothing about plumbing so until our learned friends appear,ill other this have you reset the clock on the programmer?

is the roomstat wired or rf, if rf try turning up/down a few times to re-establish link.

dont forget to try and sue your electric company for not ensuring you dont get a power surge.

Sponsored Links
had power cut and E 156.
tried reset, off/on, timer all didnt work. run all taps and thermostat on full - it kick off the burner. got hot water back. works in my case.
im not plumber but they wont share secrets :)

my mother has had a power cut lasting around about 2 hours. Her potterton promax HE worked fine before this but is now not igniting. I told her to reset for 5 seconds - nothing and then turn it off/on. This got a little hot water but then nothing and is now showing an error code of E156 she has not been left a book (installed 18mths ago) and having searched I can't find this code?
probably need a new PCB needed ;)

We had a whole estate of these things where power cut went off , most were e168 code , most needed new boards , electric board didn’t foot the bill , but tax payers did though :cautious:

We had a whole estate of these things where power cut went off , most were e168 code , most needed new boards , electric board didn’t foot the bill , but tax payers did though :cautious:

Some years ago we had a power failure in our shop. Alarm went off late at night. Went out t the shop and there was a big hole in the grass verge. Something was dramatically wrong with the supply and it had literally blown up and evidence of scorching on the mahoosive cables. Our shop suffered a massive "surge", and the alarm was knackered.

We tried to claim off the Elec Company, but they said that they were protected against such claims, and that every product after a certain date should be inherently protected against surges. They advised me to claim against the manufacturer!

whole estate of these things where power cut went off

Our shop suffered a massive "surge",

While the cable is self-destructing in a mass of molten metal the Neutral to properties can disconnect from the substation and transiently connect to one of the phases. This connection provides 440 volts to two thirds of the properties and 0 volts to the other third. It probably only last a few tens of milli-seconds but this is long enough to damage/destroy electrical equipment.

I am not so sure that the electricity transporters are totally exempt from claims for damage resulting from cable faults. They have after all provided electricity at a voltage higher than the contracted upper limit of 230 +10%

I cant find any reference to a statute protecting them, but plenty of folk looking for advice. It appears that no Elec Supplier will entertain a claim, including USA and S. Africa. They do not guarantee an uninterrupted supply, although they do not mention blowing up your kit

Elec Supplier
The supplier, ( the company you pay your money to ) may not entertain a claim as it was not their equipment that failed. Personally I think the supplier(s) whose customer(s) has been affected by a failure of the transporter's equipment should act on their customer's behalf and support a claim against the transporter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back