JAGUAR 28KW NOT IGNITING FROM COLD F1 FAULT CODE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Jaguar 28kw combi boiler three years old.

This boiler will not always light from cold, no clicking sound from ignition, it gives the F1 fault code which in the instruction book says no flame detected.
After pressing reset a couple of times it comes on.
This happened for a week about 18mths ago and a fault could not be found and then the fault dissapeared.

Boiler ignites fine once it has been on for a couple of minutes (warmed up) so that when a plumber looks at it and switches it on and off the fault does not show up! until an hour after he has gone.

So the fault is back to haunt me.

Any suggestions would be great as Im going mad! :cry:

Sponsored Links
Same problem here. I am sweaty, greasy and feel lousy, all because of the old F1. The system will not ingnite for water OR heating, and just says F1. Also, I can't find th manual to see if it says what's going on, although I suspect with the number of times it's been in and out of the drawer, it's probably worn away. I NEED A BATH!!! HELP...

F1 no gas or faulty gas valve cvi unit could be faulty maybe air pressure switch another possibility ign. lead defect

Hi Geezer. Thanks for the speedy reply. Unfortunatly, although I am a bit of a DIY bird, and can swing a sledgehammer with the best of em, I am out of my depth with everything you just said!

Is it something I can fix myself? Also, if it's no trouble, could you please tell me where I can download the manual from? Thanks Geezer, you're a gas ;)

Sponsored Links
At this time of year its almost certainly a sticking gas valve if it fails first time its used in the morning.

That should be replaced by a CORGi engineer who needs to know how to set up the min/max as its not just a matter of bolting it in.

Thats quite apart from doing a tightness test to ensure there is no gas leakage on the new joints.

Tony

If you phone glowworm they will send you a manual if you are certain it was not sparking then it will not just be the gas valve i beleive glowworm do a fixed fee repair try them

He did not say that it was not sparking!

My experience is that even when specifically asked if there is any spark most users say no anyway because its such a small and dim spark they dont notice it.

I expect its the gas valve particularly if it can be seen sparking but not lighting!

Tony

probably is gas valve with second post original post said no spark was trying to accommodate both posts

Hi, I think you'll find the fault lies with the gas valve. normally not a serviceable part, or at least thats what you'll be told if you attempt to buy a service kit. If you feel confident and providing you take care, you can free the small pin-valve. First remove the gas valve and solenoid. You will need a star shaped screwdriver to remove the screws. Once you've removed the solenoid cover and screws, you will see a very small pin-valve, she's your problem. The pin-valve is pivoted like a see-saw. Slowly rock the pin-valve back and forward for around 15 to 20 times. This should enable the pin-valve to operate again. When replacing screws, ensure they are tight. Replace the whole thing and you should be OK. I am not a plumber, I am an electronics engineer. I repaired mine 3 years ago and 2 of my family members had the same problem, now cured. A local plumber heard about my brothers and I now service them for him at £40 a throw. Hope this has helped, Den.

This advice is very dangerous! He does not have any insurance if his advice causes you to blow yourself up!

The person giving it is very irresponsible!

Any CORGI registered person learns that you do NOT tamper with precision gas valve. They are assembled in clean rooms and tested to high tolerances.

The gas valve is the component responsible for shutting gas off when the boiler is not providing heat.

Of course I could do this but I am a responsible CORGI engineer who does not do anything incorrect or risky.

Even Raden does not open up gas valves!

Tony

A corgi engineer ripped me off for over £2000 in 1999. Charged me for fitting a boiler and some pipework. It turned out the boiler was from a skip. I won a County Court case and he still trades. Corgi just says he can, NOT he will ! I respect what you say and understand where you are coming from but please do not imply that a corgi-registered plumber is any better than any other. The roads are full of idiots who have passed their tests ! !

Thanks for the responses guys. I have already seen a remark on these boards about the 'bloke in the pub', but.... a bloke in the pub told me how to reset the boiler with the little red switch, and BEHOLD! It worked. However, I have a feeling I'll be back.....

If you think it is okay to mess with gas so be it, but do not imply it is okay for others to do so. if you you got ripped off as you say then tough, for every cowboy there are ten good corgis ,as for the competent diy advocates if you are so competent why do you ask for advice on this site it is obvious you have not got either the tools or knowledge/ experience to work safely end of

NO MATE, not end of. The reason people come on here for advice is because we are all fed up with being ripped off for someone to be paid a fortune to do jobs ANYONE can do. Thanks to the internet and watchdog TV programs, you guys can no longer keep secret how to do the jobs we can all do. I know my limitations, do you ?

I do evidently you do not fella (for instance is a gas valve i have taken apart fully modulating ) say no more Agile said it all.And this is really the end of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back