Plumbing push fir / soldered joint query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have used this forum as a reference point for a little while but only just joined as I have a query for those of you in the know!

I am a DIYer who is putting in a new bathroom from scratch - it is all going pretty well so far but you'll have to excuse me if I don't have all the correct terminology!

Anyway, my question is this..... I have lifted the floor in the bathroom as needed to move some pipes for a replacement radiator. I expected to find all copper pipes to the radiator (I have been soldering copper pipe with everything else I have done so far) but under floor level I find that the copper pipe that ran to the radiator actually connects with plastic pipe using push fittings under the floor. If I attempted to solder on the copper pipes in situ, obviously the whole copper pipe is going to get very hot - will this ruin the push fittings further back on the pipework or would soldering in situ be ok?

Hope that makes sense.... any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam

Sponsored Links
How far is the soldered joint away from the plastic fitting?
you can get cooling gels which stops heat transfer further down the pipe.

Sponsored Links
If you use something to stop heat transfer down the pipe you will be fine just keep your blow torch flame very low.

At 5 inch I would release the push fits (even renew them while your under there)

As said a wet rag over the end of the copper is usually fine but you will be pushing it at that distance to give yourself clearance to work.

If you have been soldering heating pipes then look up flux and system flushing after your done, don't want excess flux circulating round your heating system over winter

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back