Plumbing Quotes !!

i think anyone who says its too expensive should go and give a cheaper quote, its only fair. money where your mouth is. Your in scotland dick, send one of your ccc's over to do it.

Of course I can't say 166 hours is excessive. Nor can I say £5K is too much for materials, I've not seen the job. But margins are that tight here a couple of weeks in Kent at the OP Plumbers rates looks very interesting. It's a lovely part of the world.

As Danny has said, yer half a shandy little engerlander is not noted for buying a round!!

Sponsored Links
So once you have completed this job in a couple of weeks (83 hours) at your new quoted labour rate of £2490 (plus VAT if registered) will you hang around to deal with any post installation issues the customer may have or be back to Glasgow? What warranty will you offer on your installation work (I give five years) and what arrangements will you make to service this warranty? It's a long way to travel to Kent for the sake of a leaking TRV.

All of the above assumes you can actually complete the job in the period allowed. Don't forget that in addition to the central heating installation (boiler and cylinder in loft which will slow you down), there is a new gas pipe to run, new soil stack to install, bathroom, ensuite and cloakroom to install and last but not least a new mains water pipe to run from the pavement. Whilst in theory it could be done, completion in your timescale will depend on other trades being on track. What if the tiling isn't completed in the bathroom and or ensuite; walls aren't plastered/decorated ready for radiators to hang; electrician hasn't got round to supplying power in loft; bath ordered by customer is delayed/damaged. Is the house going to be occupied during works and if so are you having to move furniture, lift carpets etc., or will you arrive one day to find that other trades have nicked all the parking spaces and you are relegated to the adjoining street where some b*****d nicks all your tools.

Assume you have sorted all the above, you're going to need somewhere to sleep/eat. You look for a local B&B only to find they're all full with the latest batch of immigrants shipped in from Dover. The only ones with spaces want £50 a night and that doesn't include lunch or dinner. Add fuel for the return trip and you could easily be looking at another £1,000 - £1,500 in expenses.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that works hard to find in Glasgow at the moment, however there are no rich pickings to be had in the South East (those days are long gone). If it was that easy, you can bet the lads from Birmingham/Manchester or the Eastern Europeans would be there before you in any case.

If you do come down, I will at least guarantee to buy you a pint of our finest.

Around 14k wouldn't be unreasonable , in fact I did one last year which came to around 12.5k , all top quality materials mind you (vaillant 630/unistor/copper tube/yorkie fittings/28mm gas/quality valves/drayton trv's/honeywell controls/new 32mm main from street/controls wireing etc) , made a boo boo on that job , should of been around 15/16k. ;)

I'm only interested in working for customers who appriciate good quality materials and labour , the other type i'm not interested in , tis their loss not mine. :p

OP, post me a set of drawings and a cheque for £180 + VAT and I'll let you know if your estimate is reasonable.

Sponsored Links
So once you have completed this job in a couple of weeks (83 hours) at your new quoted labour rate of £2490 (plus VAT if registered) will you hang around to deal with any post installation issues the customer may have or be back to Glasgow? What warranty will you offer on your installation work (I give five years) and what arrangements will you make to service this warranty? It's a long way to travel to Kent for the sake of a leaking TRV.

All of the above assumes you can actually complete the job in the period allowed. Don't forget that in addition to the central heating installation (boiler and cylinder in loft which will slow you down), there is a new gas pipe to run, new soil stack to install, bathroom, ensuite and cloakroom to install and last but not least a new mains water pipe to run from the pavement. Whilst in theory it could be done, completion in your timescale will depend on other trades being on track. What if the tiling isn't completed in the bathroom and or ensuite; walls aren't plastered/decorated ready for radiators to hang; electrician hasn't got round to supplying power in loft; bath ordered by customer is delayed/damaged. Is the house going to be occupied during works and if so are you having to move furniture, lift carpets etc., or will you arrive one day to find that other trades have nicked all the parking spaces and you are relegated to the adjoining street where some b*****d nicks all your tools.

Assume you have sorted all the above, you're going to need somewhere to sleep/eat. You look for a local B&B only to find they're all full with the latest batch of immigrants shipped in from Dover. The only ones with spaces want £50 a night and that doesn't include lunch or dinner. Add fuel for the return trip and you could easily be looking at another £1,000 - £1,500 in expenses.

I'm genuinely sorry to hear that works hard to find in Glasgow at the moment, however there are no rich pickings to be had in the South East (those days are long gone). If it was that easy, you can bet the lads from Birmingham/Manchester or the Eastern Europeans would be there before you in any case.

Er, nice post.

But I think our Dickie was only 'yankin yer chain' as he'd say. :rolleyes:

I was to a degree 'yankin yer chain', but look at the way it's been estimated 50/50 split my ar.e!! I've been estimating for work to make a profit for 35 years and never ever has it been a straight 50/50 split!!!
To win work & make a profit is a fine art.

I was to a degree 'yankin yer chain', but look at the way it's been estimated 50/50 split my ar.e!! I've been estimating for work to make a profit for 35 years and never ever has it been a straight 50/50 split!!!
To win work & make a profit is a fine art.
Crikey - I did rather go off on one last night. Can't believe I offered to buy you a pint. :eek: :LOL:

Straight 50/50 split is because he can't be arsed to do a proper quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back