Plumbing System

Don't worry Kev - I'm sure the great Oilman can take a light ribbing!

Sponsored Links
Yeah, right. Don't forget I can wait around Solarpark and get you when you try to get rid of a couple of bits of stove pipe. :evil:

You can wait around Solarpark as long as you like, Oilman. I'm going to Solopark.

Touché! ;)

Sponsored Links
On the subject of installing 'emergency' drain-offs....

Yes - OK - washing machine 'vampire' connectors do work as a means of getting the water out of a CH systems with no drainoff installed. I have used them myself.

But one small thing bothers me.... the little round copper disk that gets cut out of the pipe by the fitting and (inevitably) drops down into the pipe! What's to stop it getting carried round the system and jamming the pump, blocking the heat excahnger in the boiler etc.? It's small and light enough to move in the water flow. In it's intended application, all that can (should be able to) happen is that it gets carried into the filter on the back of the washing machine, with no serious harm done. However, having said this, I've never had a call-back to fix any consequences. And pray I never do!

Given working radiator valves, I've always found it preferable to switch off the lowest radiator on both sides, drain it off by loosening one of the union nuts, remove the rad altogether then drain off the system through a hose connected to one of the valves.

Easy answer to that - don't turn the thing on so far! Stop turning as soon as you feel the copper "give" and the disc stays attached. Experiment on a bit of scrap!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back