Worried About creating an air lock...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to insert a branch off my water pipe just after the stopcock. I was going to turn off the stopcock and cut the pipes to insert a 'T' junction and connect up the new pipes. I am worried what is going to happen to the air that will have been introduced into the system that when I turn the water back on. I don't want to introduce an air lock, so what would be the correct procedure in this situation? The stopcock seems to be higher than all the taps in my flat, so can I just turn off the stopcock and open all the taps to drain the system? Then once I have connected the new pipes in, turn the water back on and then turn off all the taps once they are flowing?

I have a combi boiler if that has any bearing on any of these decisions...

Thanks!

Sam

Sponsored Links
combi boiler means all pipes @ mains pressure.so no fear of an airlock ;) .just turn off the power to boiler.while doing the job

Thanks for the reply Nige.

Does that mean that it doesn't make any difference if I open the taps or not, or should i do that anyway?

Sam

Sponsored Links
Yes open them .And let run a bit after water back on, turn off ..then power to boiler.run hot water should all be ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back