Plumbing - thermocoupling for myson boiler

arb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It's not strictly DIY, but I would really appreciate any help on this.

I have a Myson Orion boiler and in the context of a gas safety check, have been advised it needs a new thermocouple. Have been quoted £120 for a plumber to replace the thermocouple (and a side job of renewing the ball valve to cold water cistern.) This seems a huge amount - thermocouples for Mysons (not that exact model, admittedly, but the ones I could find) seem to be under £10. any thoughts on this ? how technical a job is it?

thanks in advance for any help

Sponsored Links
you could always change the ball valve your self, and ask for a quote to change just the thermocouple.

You should also bear in mind that you are paying for expeariance, also only corgi regesterd engineers are allowed to work on gas appliances, gas just doesn't kill it explodes.

why not get another quote or two just for the thermocouple. I would

The average price in my area is approx £30 for boiler service + themocoupling.If a plumbers are busy they can charge what they like as they can afford to.

DO YOU ACTUALLY NEED A THERMOCOUPLE ?.DO YOU HAVE INT PILOT FAILURE OR IS THE TIP BURNT OUT ?.ITS ONLY A 5 min JOB WHY DID YOUR FITTER NOT CHANGE IT (ABOUT £5 ) AT THE TIME ?. YOU ARE ALOWD TO DO IT YOUR SELF IF YOU ARE COMPETENT AND DO NOT SEEK REWARD OR FAVIOUR ,UNIVERSAL THERMOCOUPLES ARE AVAILABLE BUT BEST STICK WITH THE SPECIFIC ONE 4 YOUR BOILER ESPECIALLY IF IT HAS AN INTERUPTER BUILT IN P.S BS 5440 PART 2 SAYS "COMPETENT HAS NOT YET BEEN DEFINED ",SO AS LONG AS YOU HAVENT BEEN PROVED INCOMPETENT.

Sponsored Links
Yes ..... as far as I know ???? the thermocouple is NOT part of the gas installation and therefore can be tackled by anyone with the nessasary knowledge. Corgi registration as far as I can understand only refers to the "gassy" bits of a boiler. Am I wrong?????

Gees

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back