Portable Gas Heater Thermocouples

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've got a fairly old Valor portable gas heater model number 389 serial 389:43A817 and for whatever reason this morning when I'm actually doing stuff that requires the room to be warmed, the thermocouple seems to have stopped working because although the pilot light lights, as soon as I turn or release the knob, it just goes out and I've tried holding it on for various amounts of time.

Problem is I just called Valor to try and get a parts number for replacing the thermocouple and they just shrugged it off and said it's obscelete so they can't give me a parts number.

Does anyone have any experience of repairing these things? Are universal thermocouple's any use? Do I have any hope of being able to replace the part or is it destined for the scrap heap?

It would be a shame to have to throw it away. We've kept it running for a long time now and I realised things fall to bits eventually, but it just seems like such an insignificant and common issue to happen, that it shouldn't warrant disposal...

Appreciate the help guys!

Kris

Sponsored Links
I would have thought that if you can get one that will physically fit & has the same actuator on the end then it should be ok. Universal equivalents are common thing these days but whether or not there is enough demand to justify someone manufacturing one for your situation I don't know. Might be better to ask in plumbing & heating section.

Just remember if you use a universal one it must be suitable for LPG.

LPG flame is hotter than Natural Gas so its flame would burn, and melt, unsuitable one.

Sponsored Links
Although it is true that LPG has a higher calorific value than natural gas, this is compensated for by controlling the combustion, i.e. jetting. So, try not to be baffled by science, you're not going to melt your fire.
If you can't get the correct part for your fire, let me know and I'll get one for you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back