Ideal Stelrad W2000 RS40 thermocouple replacement - DIY?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a rather elderly W2000 which has got into the habit of having the pilot light go out occasionally. Usually it relights OK but today the pilot won't stay on.

From the symptoms I've guessed that the thermocouple needs replacing. Google tells me that the thermocouple itself is a £10 part and it looks like a simple screw fitting into the gas valve and pilot assembly. Is this a safe and legal DIY job, or do I need to bite the bullet and pay a Corgi man to come fix it?

I noticed that the capillary tube from the existing thermocouple has been crimped over half an inch or so. It looks deliberate and not the result of damage. Is this a sign that the thermocouple may have been bodged/repaired in the past?

Sponsored Links
Get in a pro as you should not be opening combustion cover without being approved or competent person to do so.

Sponsored Links
british Gas vans still say CORGI but thats neither here nor there.

The registration body is now Gas Safe !

They also do TV licences!

Tony

british Gas vans still say CORGI but thats neither here nor there.

The registration body is now Gas Safe !

They also do TV licences!

Tony

Who? BG or gas safe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back