Valor Gas Fire problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we have a valor dream just over 12 months old. Came to use it and the fire doesn't stay on, we have pilot light start but as soon as you lift the control on the side the flame goes out. Had somebody out and changed the thermocoupler and the interruptor block, but were scratching our heads as what it might be. Model number is 940, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Or the yellow lead micro switch has gone. To be sure get an experienced gas engineer to look at or get a fixed price repair off heateam

Hi, we have a valor dream just over 12 months old. Came to use it and the fire doesn't stay on, we have pilot light start but as soon as you lift the control on the side the flame goes out. Had somebody out and changed the thermocoupler and the interruptor block, but were scratching our heads as what it might be. Model number is 940, any help would be appreciated, thanks.

I've just had the exact same problem. The thermocouple needs to be heated by the pilot flame for things to work. In my case it wasn't a faulty thermocouple, the pilot flame was being misdirected due to dust around the area, and so the pilot flame was not reaching the thermocouple and hence not heating it up. A hard blow to get rid of any dust sorted the problem out. Phew!

Sponsored Links
Or the yellow lead micro switch has gone. To be sure get an experienced gas engineer to look at or get a fixed price repair off heateam

powel30 is spot on with his diagnoses.had same problem several times :LOL:

First of all, I strongly advise that all servicing to this type of appliance be carried out by a qualified service engineer (at no time attempt this yourself unless you are qualified).
When igniting your cylinder gas fire the ignition light stays on but when you release the control dial the ignition light goes out ??????.
There are several reasons for this problem but to my experience it is 99% of the time

*********deleted

I have just been given another Valour gas fire with this problem again and the owner had been quoted £60 plus vat... 30 min job ...£20 fee and customer is on her way with a fully functioning gas fire, in fact she just about had time to finish her tea before she left.
I am giving this advise to you as on so many occasions I hear the same over and over again (teeth sucking, parts need replacing & being charged a fortune for what is no more than a 30 min job.
At no time do I suggest that you carry out any servicing on any gas or electrical appliance unless you are qualified.
PLEASE REMEMBER THIS REPAIR SHOULD ONLY BE CARRIED OUT BY A QUALIFIED GAS FIRE SERVICE ENGINEER.

if it should be done by a RGI,then why are you explaining how to do it on a public forum?

If you read what's written you will see I am giving info to those who get given mis-guided info in order to ascertain the fault before taking heater to an engineer.
Also, the info regarding 2 x screws & cleaning ignition jet does not give instruction on how to repair fault it is written to demonstrate that this fault is not as expensive to correct as I and many other people have been led to believe.
Also, on THREE separate instances I have stated that this repair and any other to gas or electrical appliances should only be carried out by a qualified engineer.
I would like to thank for pointing out that the correct terminology for a qualified engineer is in fact a RGI.

Steve, doesn't matter how many times you've mentioned using an RGI, you have still to some degree advised on how to fix a gas related problem to an OP!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

FFS all instructions are on the internet and go into far more detail on how to strip an appliance down it is also a requirement that these instructions are left with the customer after an appliance has been installed so why are people so a#al about this when some one posts

The firer thr op posted about werent a cabinet heater, so i would think they can't actually tke it to a shop, but get a gasman to call out

FFS all instructions are on the internet and go into far more detail on how to strip an appliance down it is also a requirement that these instructions are left with the customer after an appliance has been installed so why are people so a#al about this when some one posts

those instructions are left with a customer for an engineer to refer to when working on the appliance!!!!there is a big difference between an op finding the info themselves and attempting the work themselves to an RGI giving them the advise on it!!!!! its actually a safety issue, isn't it.

Never noticed that on the front of the instructions before.
TOP SECERT ONLY TO BE READ BY AN RGI.
The point is the instructions are there for all to find and go into great detail on how to strip and repair appliances with pictures and diagrams.
So why get all uppity when people on here go into it.

the point is still safety related, and i'm not getting uppity about it just stating the obvious, i will help anyone as far as i can as long as its not anything to do with gas parts! so why are you getting your t#ts twisted????? :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back