plumbing with RADWELD pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, can anyone help? My house was built in the 1970`s during the worldwide copper shortage. Stainless steel " RADWELD" piping was used throughout using normal compression fittings. My question is, can I use pushfit fittings on these pipes? or will they leak?
many thanks kev

Sponsored Links
The 1970's pipes could be imperial sizes so pushfit is not going to work.

Compression fittings only on your existing pipe, adapted to metric if necessary then run in copper or plastic.

Many thanks for your reply. I understand what you are saying, However, if the radweld is metric, could pushfit be used or is the stainless pipe not soft enough for the pushfit teeth to grip into? thanks

Sponsored Links
1/2" pipe will match 15mm but 3/4" will have to adapt to 22mm use only compression joints on the old pipe then you can use push fit on new pipes only .

Compression only,this system is definetly not to be used with push fit which rely on grab ring to stop it beinf oulled off and 5hus copper is soft enough to accomplish this

Pushfit installation instructions state not to be used on chrome, stainless steel, carbon steel etc.

Basically the surfaces are too hard for the teeth on the grab ring to "bite"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back