what is best for a diyer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1) compression fitting

2) plastic pushfit

3) soldering copper.

I've had some practice at soldering a joint during an onc plumbing course but i still manage to slightly overheat the pipe and spill the solder.

These plastic pushfit look the business but i've heard bad things about them.

Is compression fitting the answer? Can these pop out like i've heard the plastic ones do?

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Never compression unless it is exposed.

Pushfit is fine, especially if you carefully deburr and mark the depth on copper pipe. Choose a proper brand though and don't mix makes.

Soldering is strongest if done properly; if not done perfectly, it is probably the worst of the three.

Pushfit is fine, especially if you carefully deburr and mark the depth on copper pipe. Choose a proper brand though and don't mix makes.

Soldering is strongest if done properly; if not done perfectly, it is probably the worst of the three.

this is an exposed run under a kitchen unit. i'm getting rid of an outdie tap that ts off the run. So I need to connect the cut pipe via something.
Any advice in terms of pushfit make?

Sponsored Links
I use polyplumb, not the easiest to work with, but a lot sturdier than speedfit.
Speed fit can be undone and redone, once polyplumb is on, it stays on.

Is compression fitting the answer? Can these pop out like i've heard the plastic ones do?

yes ive known it

it was a 3"" boiler feed

great fun

if you can solder then do it

if your not sure practice ;)

tip turn the lamp down and keep it moving

you don't have to make a joint in 15 sec

that takes years :LOL:

this is an exposed run under a kitchen unit. i'm getting rid of an outdie tap that ts off the run. So I need to connect the cut pipe via something.

Solder!

Hep20 for me!

Great so we've made a list of pretty much all possible methods of plumbing. That'll help the OP decide what's best for him ;) :LOL:

Solder!

Never heard of that brand pushfits.

bananalama.gif

practise soldering more till your skills at it improve.

Thats the way to go.

oforgodsake give the man a break.
He is gonna do one single job, if he has to spend 50 quid on a torch and 6 hours practice, he might as well get pjotr in to do it for him

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back