Joining stainless pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone. First off this forum is so helpful loads of info on here.
Anyway to my question. My house built in the 1970's during the copper shortage has been fully plumbed in 22mm stainless.

Now I have just removed it all and done away with the storage tank so the house is all on mains water. But the main stop valve is still attached to stainless and has a strange fitting that dose not use a olive so can't fit direct to this with copper pipe.

I removed the pipe and cut it short so I could put a compression fitting on and then run new copper pipes from this point on but I can't get a good seal. It always weeps from the compression fitting where it's attached to the stainless steel pipe.

If I can't sort this the only other thing I can think of doing is shutting off the water at the street valve and remove the final bit of stainless and fit a new stop valve on to the incoming copper below.

Can anyone advise me on how to seal a compression fitting to stainless.

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by crimping tool?
Only crimps I know about are for electrical connections. ( that's my trade ) not use to this pluming business.

Have you tried a copper olive and some Fernox LSX?
Oh! and a bit of brute force to crunch the olive really tight! ;)

Sponsored Links
Pressfit.

Crunches special firings into pipe. Copper, Low Carbon Steel and Stainless are all catered for.

What I don't know is if you can use it on that old stuff.

You could use a philmac fittng, they are a bit bulky but get the job done.

Anyway to my question. My house built in the 1970's during the copper shortage has been fully plumbed in 22mm stainless.

Now I have just removed it all and done away with the storage tank so the house is all on mains water. But the main stop valve is still attached to stainless and has a strange fitting that dose not use a olive so can't fit direct to this with copper pipe.

I removed the pipe and cut it short so I could put a compression fitting on and then run new copper pipes from this point on but I can't get a good seal. It always weeps from the compression fitting where it's attached to the stainless steel pipe.

If I can't sort this the only other thing I can think of doing is shutting off the water at the street valve and remove the final bit of stainless and fit a new stop valve on to the incoming copper below.

Ah I remember it well!! I was an apprentice at the time. 15&22mm SS tube was as hard as a whore's heart to bend, though we were told it could be soldered, we never ever tried & just used type A compression fittings.

Even in the 70s it was common for incoming mains water supplies to be done in 3/4" black alkathene, which should be coming through your ground floor?

A photo of the stopcock.ck would help..... ;)

Pressfit.

Crunches special firings into pipe. Copper, Low Carbon Steel and Stainless are all catered for.

What I don't know is if you can use it on that old stuff.

I guess it depends on the condition of the pipe Dan, but that's a bit OTT just for a bit of stainless. A compression fitting done up the right way will be fine.

Ah I remember it well!! I was an apprentice at the time. 15&22mm SS tube was as hard as a whore's heart to bend, though we were told it could be soldered, we never ever tried & just used type A compression fittings.

Even in the 70s it was common for incoming mains water supplies to be done in 3/4" black alkathene, which should be coming through your ground floor?

A photo of the stopcock.ck would help..... ;)

I'll take a snap shot of the stopcock when I am back over at the house today.
The mains inn defo looks like copper it's covered in green oxidisation.

I would rather not use any sealant because I feel that's a bit of a bodge. I could be being totally stupid thinking that tho.

You may have a Securex stopc.ck then Neil (type B compression fitting).
I'll await your photo to confirm.

Evening people.

This is a pic of the stopcock and one of a random joint.
e3c05fd150b1eea13ef0dedf28e72808.jpg

f554bd556edd3667fad6f231a97a4a20.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back