Stainless steel pipe & Compression fittings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When doing brass compression fittings on stainless steel pipe is there anything you do different from copper? All the existing joints have ptfe on them which would seem to make sense as SS is a harder pipe?

Sponsored Links
When doing brass compression fittings on stainless steel pipe is there anything you do different from copper? All the existing joints have ptfe on them which would seem to make sense as SS is a harder pipe?

I have found that it also helps to clean the SS of back to copper and then fit the compression fitting however i only do this due to an accident with pushfit and SS :oops:

I have found that it also helps to clean the SS of back to copper and then fit the compression fitting however i only do this due to an accident with pushfit and SS :oops:
are you referring to chrome plated copper tube here, and not stainless steel?

Sponsored Links

are you referring to chrome plated copper tube here, and not stainless steel?
Yes :oops:

Yes I am :oops:

With that in mind, I'm curious about where the op is using stainless steel pipes and compression fittings.

Cant use boss white as it's cold mains. Changing from communal loft tank to mains feed for bathroom. Done a few with ptfe and they seem fine. Should I be fitting flow restrictor(s)? Pressure is v-high.

The tenement was totally renovated by the local authority in 1978 been told SS was used to to deter theft!

Cant use boss white as it's cold mains. Changing from communal loft tank to mains feed for bathroom. Done a few with ptfe and they seem fine. Should I be fitting flow restrictor(s)? Pressure is v-high.

The tenement was totally renovated by the local authority in 1978 been told SS was used to to deter theft!

you can use boss white, you just dont tell anybody

if you are going to be pedantic then you shouldnt be using ptfe (its a wee bit amateur)

as per your boss white semantics, consult the regs concerning pressure reducing sets

use boss green, for potable water supplies. SS is also a good deterent to stop galvanic reation taking place between dissimilar metals.

you can use boss white, you just dont tell anybody
You need a Brave Heart and Balls of ( stainless) Steel to go round breaking rules in that Cavalier fashion :evil:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back