How to 15mm connect stainless steel 15mm to copper?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We've just weeded out a lot of the stainless which was in the house but I've still got a T which needs to be moved and turned into a regular straight - stainless to copper.

I've been told that stainless steel is awkward and to be careful with what I'll be using to connect the old stainless to new copper.

Am I looking for a regular compression straight connector or is there something more specific?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What exactly is this "stainless" pipe?

How old is it?

I recommend that you take great care with it!

Tony

We had a load in the house of both 22mm and 15mm and it's all done up with compression fittings, plumber said it can't be soldered the normal way so it's all bolted up.

Something about a shortage of copper so steel had to be used! House it 70s but the system was probably 30ish + years old.

Sponsored Links
the best way to deal with it is use a junior hacksaw, make sure you get a fresh blade as a couple of cuts and it'll be blunt!
cut gently because if you rattle the pipe around too much it could well disturb a joint somewhere else.
once you're through use a file to clean away any burs, again be gentle as possible.
you can use a compression fitting, but the chance are that your pipework is going to be imperial size pipe, the difference between 15mm and 1/2" isn't much so a normal 15mm olive will do, but if you're going to do anything with 3/4" - 22mm you'll need a 'green' olive (old skool 3/4")
it wont hurt to use some jointing compound around the olive, Fernox LSX is what i use, you could even tighten the nuts up, then slacken them off and wrap some PTFE around the olive and thread and re-tighten.

the key is, BE GENTLE!!!! :D

good luck (it's horrible stuff to work on)

It is not really what we call stainless!

It also corrodes on the inside and easily collapses.

Not really suitable for pressurised systems.

Tony

Thanks for the replies.

As I currently have access to the bottom and top of the stack where to soil and water run upstairs, should I get rid of this last run of steel? It currently runs from under kitchen sink - up a boxed in stack - into the bathroom and is joined to the copper.

It would be done in plastic but the plumber done the cold water to upstairs yesterday and just connected to the copper upstairs after he'd cut the stainless away.

Thanks

Truweald , just get rid of it all , it will leak
Tru Weld - that goes back to the early 70's for use on central heating - not domestic water . What's the panic with stainless ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back