Plunge Saw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Someone on this site recommended a plunge saw that had a guide. (they even provided a URL). I've searched and cannot find the post. Can anyone recommend a good plunge saw preferably for a DIY'ers budget.

Sponsored Links
Mark - I posted in Woodworking about 'plunging a saw' when doing worktop cut-outs; this was a description of an action (or trick) when using a hand-held circular saw. I also talked about a 'clamp-on' sawing guide or fence. Am I the guilty party? If you want any more info then I'd be more than happy to supply it.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks for everyone's help and advice (the members make this forum an excellent resource).

I've been keeping an eye on ebay for a Festool plunge saw, but not surprisingly they don't come up for sale on my budget. I'll also be going down the HSS route as I can't justify to the wife forking out to buy one.

I pride myself on being a pretty good DIY person but maybe I'm just being a bit dense today. Could someone clear up for me what a plunge saw actually does? I can figure out that its a circular saw but what is it used for in the context of laying floors ? Do you lay the floor as close to the edge as you can then use the plunge saw to "trim the edges as close to the wall as possible ?

Not exactly. It is mostly used when installing a design parquet floor - not a normal T&G plank floor - to cut the excess pattern which is already glued down in order to create enough and the exact space you need for installing a border.
Very handy and efficient. Otherwise you'll have to cut all last blocks of the pattern precisely before installing them to fit within the pattern - takes hours!

Besides this feature it can be used as a normal circular saw too ;)

Ah, gotcha. As you say, you lay and glue the parquet as a pattern as close to the edge as possible then if you have, say, a 2 inch border to lay you set the plunge saw guide 2 inches (+/- tolerence) from the wall and cut away. Now I get it.....

I wondered how the pros got those nice neat straight borders in. Now I know....cheers

PS...I love your website and I know where I'll be going for decent quality eng flooring.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back