ply for flooring - must be WBP?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I've posted this in the flooring forum too so apologies for the double-post, but given the urgency (my order arrives in 10 minutes) I wanted to make sure my question was seen by anybody who works with floors! Apologies to the mods if I'm breaking the rules

Bit of an urgent one, this. I'm redoing the kitchen floor. Currently, it is old floorboards that are a bit uneven; and a solid floor in the hearth area which covers about 1/3 of the floor. My plan is to:

- remove the floorboards,
- replace with ply,
- check for level against the solid floor
- put hardibacker boards over the ply to 1) bring the level of the ply section up to the level of the solid section and 2) give me a good surface to tile on to

I was going to pick up some ply from B&Q. I hired a van to collect it last weekend but could not do so as the guy who operates the saw was having dinner the first time I went; and the saw was broken the second time. My dad put an order in with Tradepoint for some to be delievered on this weekend (I'd returned the van). They said that they could deliver Sunday, but what they actually meant was Tuesday, which is no good.

So in a bit of a panic last night I called up a local timber merchant to order some. they have cut it already and are about to deliver, but in my panic I forgot to specify that I wanted WBP. Given the price (About £30 a sheet), I suspect it's just cheap softwood plywood.

It's due to arrive in a few mins. I really, really hope I can use it as it is a very expensive mistake if I cannot, but I don't want to put something down that is not going to be suitable. My only comfort here is that I do not plan to tile on to the plywood directly: I'll be tiling on to the hardibacker.

Any thoughts would be welcome!

EDIT: a few facts that might be relevant: the kitchen is on the ground floor of a 1930s semi. The current floor doesn't feel soft and/or damp, and there is ventilation below the floor (the void beneath the floor is about 2-3 feet deep). The joists are supported in places by being sat on brick pillars and shallow walls in the floor void.

Sponsored Links
Ply has arrived. It's ugly, but does say "exterior CC" on the side. Does this mean it's WBP (or equivalent) and therefore OK to use?

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back