How can I test if the floor is solid enough?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm putting down a quartz tile floor for the kitchen soon, and I'm a bit concerned about the subfloor.

It was originally 20mm pine floorboards for most of the room, but there is also a solid hearth area which covers about 1/4 of the room. The floorboards were old and a bit wobbly, so I replaced them with 18mm exterior grade ply. I then put down 6mm hardibacker over the ply (joints not overlapping), primarily because it brought the "ply" part of the floor up to the level of the solid floor. I also liked the idea of the extra rigidity that it would give.

However, the floor still feels a tiny bit bouncy and I can feel (or at least I think I can feel) the difference between the "ply" floor and the solid floor. I might just be worrying about it too much, but is there anything I can do to test whether it's OK to take the tiles? And there is too much movement for tiles, I assume engineered wooden flooring is a better bet as they are more flexible (literally)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back