Prep before tiling floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to tile my kitchen floor with 10mm Black quartz tiles, my kitchen is roughly 3mx2.4m.

My floorboards are in good condition, but in a few areas there is a small bit of noise/movement so I'd like to put some plyboard down.

I'd ideally like to put as thin ply board down as possible as I don't want there to be much of a step down to the hallway flooring, so was wondering what would be the minimum depth ply I'd need to elimanate movement?

And would ply board be suffice to lay the tiles on? I've saw people using a backing board on top of the ply too then tiling directly onto this

Could someone advise if I'd need ply board and if so what depth, and would i require a backing board also?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
min ply would be 12mm

The reason backer boards are more popular is that they are only 6mm. take a look at no-more-ply or hardie backer

Thanks

So theoritically I couldlay some backer down on top of my existing floor, and tile on top of that.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
completely agree with tpt - no more ply is the way to go on this. fantastic advice as always.

one other thing to remember that has not been mentioned, secure your floorboards first, if you don't and you just screw a backerboard down then tile, you are gonna have movement in that backerboard, causing either the tiles to lift or break or even the grout to crack,
My personal preference is hardie over nomoreply, just remember to use the hardie screws and also the tape for the joints.

Forgot to add, use a good flexible adhesive under your backerboard as well as for your tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back