tiling on floor boards in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Just about ready to start preparing the floor for laying tiles down in my bathroom. I'd like to use ply as I don't have to put any adhesive or compound onto the floorboards which I am sure will damage them in some way. The only thing is that using ply am I right that I should be using 15-18mm? This, with a 8mm floor tile and adhesive, will mean close to an inch step up from the hall way carpet? The bathroom floor is small (1.4mx1.7m) and the boards are sound so will a thinner ply cause me issues?
Many Thanks!

Sponsored Links
You could use a 6mm cement backer board, providing there is no deflection in the floor and they are sound. Have a look for posts regarding Marmox, Aquapanel or Hardibacker.

If you use ply, it will need to be screwed down at 6" centres to minimise movement, so the floorboards will take some damage anyway. If you really want to save them, you could lift them and then board the floor with 25mm ply (would need to give more details on your joists, once you can see them) Other than that I'm stumped, I'm afraid :unsure:.

K

Sponsored Links
The BS & adhesive manufacturers spec for ply over boarding is 15mm WBP but it’s generally accepted that 12mm is sufficient in most cases; or you could use 6mm tile backer boards as suggested. Either way the existing floorboards are going to be damaged from screws (fix every 150 through into the joists) & the additional adhesive necessary in the case of the thinner backer boards.

If you want to save the floorboards for posterity, pull them up & fix 18-25mm WBP ply directly onto the joists (my preferred method); the ply thickness you need will depend on the joist size/pitch/span. This will also keep your threshold down to manageable levels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back