Ply lining over tile mortar?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently renovating my bathroom and have just removed some heavy duty floor tiles. They've left a load of nasty grey mortar that i'm struggling to take off without removing chunks of floorboard with it!!!! The floorboards aren't in great shape below and are flaking up when i get the chisel on the the mortar.

Im trying to keep the cost down, so I was considering just lining the floor with plywood over the tile mortar. Is that an acceptable practice?

Would 5.5mm exterior ply be suitable for this? The tiles i removed were about 8mm thick, and i'm just planning on a vinyl floor so height shouldn't be an issue.

I was planning on screwing it to the existing boards and leaving 1 access hatch for services.

Any other advice?

Cheers
Iain

Sponsored Links
OP,
Why not post pics of the floor and the room?
The tiles were stuck to T&G floorboards?
There are a number of threads on these issues in the tile forum - I'll ask the mods to transfer you.

No problem...i'll get some photos.

Yes, the tiles were pretty hard to get off. Got them off...and now i'm left with the mortar!

Floor without the tiles

Attachments

• 20170226_160907.jpg
    20170226_160907.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
Chunks coming up from the t&g boards

Attachments

• 20170226_160923.jpg
    20170226_160923.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 126
  • 20170226_160914.jpg
    20170226_160914.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 114
You have a choice:
1. Hire a floor tile grinder - it will clear that floor in no time. Then use 12mm ply.
2. Knock down the highest spots and prime and spread a very thin coat - merely a filler - of SLC to give a flat floor over the whole room. Then use 12mm ply.
3. Using ply straight over what you have might risk crunching sounds in traffic areas, & possibly eventual loosening of the ply.

Consider the rad supplies, the wastes from fixtures and all pipework below the floor before fixing ply.

Cheers mate...I'm going to hire the tile grinder (£18 for the day), so I'll see how that goes.

Would you out ply over the whole floor? Even under the bath?

Cheers

Best practice is for the bathroom to be an empty shell for first fixing etc.
But if the bath tub is fixed and staying then as a DIY'er just run the ply or whatever up to the bath. - not under it.
But run ply and finish floor under the WC & ped basin or vanity.

Depending on the size of the room, its best to do an "easy-fit" template and, using the template, cut the ply in one piece and drop it in place

Remember that the screws must not penetrate below the sub-floor T&G boards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back