Ply over floorboards - nail or screw?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all,

I have uneven floorboards throughout my house and need to do something about them before I have carpet layed.

I had toyed with laying hardboard or 4mm ply but after reading here it seems 6mm ply is the preferred option.

Now in all posts (including the sticky - very useful thanks) it says to nail or staple the ply.

My main worry about nailing or stapling is the possibility of the nails or staples lifting and creating bounce and unnecessary noise when ply knocks the existing floor.. Also, I can't find a manual stapler so the cheapest stapler is £50.

I had been thinking of screwing the ply at 8" centres using 20mm countersunk screws. I figured this would reduce the chances of lift although would require considerably more effort.

Other than the increased effort are there any other downfalls to screwing the ply to my existing floorboards?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I had been thinking of screwing the ply at 8" centres using 20mm countersunk screws. I figured this would reduce the chances of lift although would require considerably more effort.
It is but worth it, you could hire one of there to speed it up
ds205-14v2006.jpg

Other than the increased effort are there any other downfalls to screwing the ply to my existing floorboards?

Cheers
Any loose foorboards put in extra screws as near as the floor nails as possible otherwise might hit pipe/cable etc

screw all the way.

Although I have seen mention of using a ringshank nail for better holding, but that was Tommy Walsh & he's a right cowboy :D

Cheers. I've got an autofeed drywall driver but can't find any collated 20mm screws. Got a shedload of 25mm drywall screws but they won't be strong enough really. Was thinking of buying the wood screws I want and getting one of the lads to sit there when we're quiet and manually stick them into a used reel :LOL: . He'd be well chuffed with that lol.

Any loose foorboards put in extra screws as near as the floor nails as possible otherwise might hit pipe/cable etc

Cheers, I've stick all floorboards down properly. Had boards up in various places to rewire and re-plumb and they've all been fixed in place with countersunk screws. Any other squeaky or slightly loose ones have been fixed down too.

My boards are 19mm thick so with 6mm ply that's 25mm but after seeing what's been done under my floorboards previously I don't want to risk a screw tip going through the boards by even 1mm. Where I've had the boards up I have added depth to the notches because in places gas and water pipes were as good as supporting the floorboards instead of the joists! There was also some cabling pretty damn close to the boarda and in one instance a cable hich had all but work away to due being trapped between board and joist. I'm fairly confident I've managed to route out all pipework and wiring and rectify it but just on the off chance there is something I'm not aware of lurking underneath a board I'd rather not risk going through a board by any fraction.

I guess 20mm screws would be fine though eh? 6mm through the ply and 14mm into the boards - more than enough to hold.

Gonna get those self countersinking screws which require no pilot hole to cut don on the amount of work involved. Any one used them and anyone got any recommendations?

Sponsored Links
screw all the way.

Cheers Mattylad,

That's what I thought but wanted to be sure there was no real good reason why the majority of posts on the subject suggested nails or staples other than the obvious additional effort of using screws.

I guess 20mm screws would be fine though eh? 6mm through the ply and 14mm into the boards - more than enough to hold.
The screw length need to be 3 times the thickness eg: 6mm x 3 = 18mm so 20mm will be fine. I have just measure the 25mm black self tapping plasterboards screws and it's just under 24mm so you should get away with it but only you know where the pipe/cable are. You can also get heavy duty paper for under the carpet preventing the screws head sticking out

Having said that this self countersunk screws might be better

Nothing wrong with ring shanks in this application IMO There's not enough spring in 6mm ply to lift out a 30mm ringshank nail.

For thicker ply and tiling though, that's a defo screw job.

That said, if you've got the 25mm screws, then use 'em up. ;)

mobile - the clue to the way forward is in the first line of you original post:
"throughout my house and need to do something about them before I have carpet layed". IMO, one room maybe screws, whole house means you'll be on bended knees forever fixing the thin ply down. And, the real clue to the most appropriate method is you're going to carpet the lot, no tiles!, no solid wood overflooring!, just carpet. Nothing wrong with annular (ring shank) nails in this situation, apart from developing Housemaid's Knee with all the kneeling down. Doing the whole house means air stapler shooting divergent staples; the thin sheeting will never move. Either buy a cheapo compressor & stapler (or combo nailer/stapler), or hire the tackle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back