Plywood choices!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm about to order some plywood in order to cover the floorboards in my bathroom ready for the installation of vinyl. I have become completely confused with what plywood I should actually be ordering. Hardwood, softwood, structural/non-structural, different thicknesses etc... aarrgghh!

I have read a few posts on here that say I should be getting an exterior based plywood. Would something like this be OK? http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Non-Structural-Hardwood-Plywood-18-x-1220-x-2440mm/p/110037

I would have thought 18mm would be too thick? Total floor coverage will be 7.2m2.

Grateful for any advice.

Thanks very much.

David

Sponsored Links
Wickes plywood is decent gear. Used it before.
If the floorboards are pretty flat I'd use 6mm ply, if uneven then use 9mm.
What type of vinyl are you using?

If all you want to do is give a smooth surface over old floorboards, so your vinyl does not go into lines and creases and wear out, 4mm or thereabout will do.

Bathrooms tend to contain water, so get WBP ply.

if you need to cut it to fit, have your own cuts round the edges and let the straight, square factory cuts meet each other in the middle of the room.

I just use big staples to fix down the ply in this kind of situation. Hardboard can also be used over old floorboards, but is somewhat inferior, especially in a room that contains water, and often forms bubbles.

You only need to use 18mm or greater ply if you are taking up the old floor and skipping it (if it is chipboard that would be a good move).

If you overboard with a thick ply, you will have to cut the bottom of your door, and the skirting/floor joint will look very bad unless you fix new.

Sponsored Links
If all you want to do is give a smooth surface over old floorboards, so your vinyl does not go into lines and creases and wear out, 4mm or thereabout will do.

Bathrooms tend to contain water, so get WBP ply.

if you need to cut it to fit, have your own cuts round the edges and let the straight, square factory cuts meet each other in the middle of the room.

I just use big staples to fix down the ply in this kind of situation. Hardboard can also be used over old floorboards, but is somewhat inferior, especially in a room that contains water, and often forms bubbles.

You only need to use 18mm or greater ply if you are taking up the old floor and skipping it (if it is chipboard that would be a good move).

If you overboard with a thick ply, you will have to cut the bottom of your door, and the skirting/floor joint will look very bad unless you fix new.

Thank you for this. Very helpful indeed. I now realise 18mm+ is overkill.

So Karndean which is a LVT.
You want ring shank nails to fit plywood down.
Only plywood I use is SP101. But you will struggle to get it.
A lot of plywood is Chinese these days so be careful you don't buy that.
You will need to screed the floor with a feather finish screed before you lay the plywood.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back