Plywood delaminated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning

I have a 12mm WBP sheet of ply, which after cutting to size, I have noticed that it has started to delaminate at an edge. Upon closer inspection, it looks like there is an extra 'layer' at this point. Is this common, or is this a manufacturing defect?

Sponsored Links
where the layers off ply are butted up against each other sometimes you get overlap sometimes you get gaps this is not unusual and can cause weak spots
i think you have been very unlucky
where you have cut is along the join line so causing more damage than normal

another part off the problem is modern ply can be 5.5mm rather than traditional 1/4" or 6.35mm thick with the reduced thickness being taken off the surface layers

OK thanks for the answers.

Next question. Is there anything I can do about it to make the surface flush again? ie sanding/filling. or am i wasting my time and should write it off?

Sponsored Links
You could always try squirting pva into the gap and cramping it tight for the night, it may or may not work no guarentee either way. Failing that it's probably better to replace unless you could turn the ply around so the delamination is at the back.

You could always try squirting pva into the gap and cramping it tight for the night, it may or may not work no guarentee either way. Failing that it's probably better to replace unless you could turn the ply around so the delamination is at the back.

Seconded but if you need it more waterproof, try aliphatic resin rather than PVA. Also, it sets hard and can be sanded easily.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back