plywood, glulam,cranked beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,

does anyone have any experience with glulam beams.

i'm looking for an alternative to a cranked beam for a stairway to join my existing entrance landing to a new raised level ground floor that i raised to allow head height in the basement.

hopefully the images below will go some way to explaining things better.

//media.diynot.com/156000_155224_43364_13349202_thumb.jpg

My building regs guy has suggested that i use a fabricated cranked beam in rolled steal but for aesthetics i was looking into a wood option.

i am a furniture maker by trade and have the where-with-all to laminate up my own 'glulam-beam' to the exact measurements i need using 18mm birch ply, probably 3 layers of.

what do people think about this?

Thank you all very much in adavnce

please let me know if i can make anything clearer for you

all the best

Graham

Sponsored Links
Can you get it cut out of a flat steel plate or even welded from two bits of flat bar and then clad with timber either side.

Though as you say gluing up a few sheets of birch and then cutting the cranked member from that will liekly be strong enough, can't your engineer do the calcs for that option?

J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back