Plywood thickness on bathroom floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom. I'll be putting Grant Westfield Twin Floor click on the floor which, is an ordinary wooden floorboard type.
I was going to put a sheet of plywood down first, just to smooth it out a bit.
Will 6mm be sufficient and how should it be secured to the existing floorboards?
Also, should I lay it before I put the MultiPanel on the walls and Multipanel down to the new floor?
Or, should I put the MultiPanel on the walls first and lay the floor up to the new walls?

Sponsored Links
I would go with 8mm realy. You wont to screw it down one screw ever 6/8 incs leaving a 10mm gap around the eadges for it to exspand. I dont think it would matter which you do 1st

I'm in the process of renovating my bathroom. I'll be putting Grant Westfield Twin Floor click on the floor which, is an ordinary wooden floorboard type.
I was going to put a sheet of plywood down first, just to smooth it out a bit.
Will 6mm be sufficient and how should it be secured to the existing floorboards?
Also, should I lay it before I put the MultiPanel on the walls and Multipanel down to the new floor?
Or, should I put the MultiPanel on the walls first and lay the floor up to the new walls?

Your supplier should have a recommended solution.

But - you are basically fitting laminate flooring which shouldn`t really require ply before the underlay which will be designed to even out small imperfections. usually on wooden subfloors fibreboard is used, however you are fitting this in a bathroom. I am always uncomfortable mixing water and laminate. Your chosen product "appears" to be specifically designed for bathrooms, so ask them which particular underlay they recommend.
After all you want to maintain any chance of a claim in the future!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
I would go with 8mm realy. You wont to screw it down one screw ever 6/8 incs leaving a 10mm gap around the eadges for it to exspand. I dont think it would matter which you do 1st

Sorry rodney your advice is incorrect!

Ply should be fixed every 4inches around the edge and every 6inches elsewhere. Expansion joints must not be left (you are firmly fixing it down so it cannot expand anyway.
Finally 6mm is the normal (actually I have never heard of 8mm)

I don't think it's like laminate flooring, it's more like vinyl, I think.
http://www.multipanel.co.uk/Samples/twinfloor.asp?id=2
It's that stuff.
I've looked at their website and, they recommend 6mm minimum. I was just wondering if 6mm is ok or would 9mm be better?
I've not heard of 8mm either.

:oops: you are correct. saw the word "click" and..........

their website was slower than I had time to wait for!

stick to 6mm, ensure any joints are tight and fix down as above.
use either ring shank nails (sized so they don't go through sub-floor)
if you have wires or pipes you may need to service use screws

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back