pme or TT ?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

timhilto

hello had call from my old neighbour to look at sum electrical work. my suppply was a pme. he is next door off the same transformer (11kv pole).
i was the 2 nd last from the end of the pole run he is 3rd last. i seem to remember my ze being 0.30 ohms.

amyway called in and was "shocked" lol .... there in the garage is a 100 amp cut out with a pme label on it. an old voltage operated black trip on mains a black wire in the pme cut out terminal disappearing outside ??? time to investigate !!!

the black wire went into ground and is belived to be connected to an earth stake and has been concreted over !!

this installation is some wat dated in ways and needs some upgrading get rid of the old rewireables and hopefully a split load board too !! earthing conductors need upgrading and a bit of tidying up and the get the testers on it all and i feel this installation will see the old fella out to his heaven days hopefully naturally and not by a big shock !!

not wanting to jump into a complete rewire i take a look around. the cables are all pvc. the old fella has had some amateur work done here at some point !!!

anyway on a good look round we have decided it would be good to get some good protection on this installation !! upgrade the earthing too!! and upon completion we will have a safe installation !!

so back to this ze. i get my loop tester out !!

wtf !!! theres another stake in the garage too !!

ok. so his stake is giving out 75 ohms (the 1 in the garage that is ! ) the 1 from the pme to outside is not connected to the installations earth.
this pme label and stakes etc ......... mmm can we get this on a pme and have a split load board. ????????

loop tester now in p-n mode and a reading of 0.35 ohms.

so here we have a borderline reading. and currently a TT earthing system.

so was the lecky board unsure (with the label black wire into ground and stake ! ) or the sparky !

2 stakes within 1 metre of each other one connected to the installaion one not. i want to rid of this situation.

at some point we determine the workshop outbuilding had had a supply taken to it. old fella memory begins to kick in. it was at this time the earth stake in the garage was hammered in . mmm the chap who did this has done a fair job in regards the workshop installation, but has not checked out the bungalow installation i feel.

prob alarmed by the old black wire etc popped a stake in and INVOICE in and legged it never to be seen again ...........

now this old fella has had hip replacement and waiting another !! the garage has a life times collection and if i can save him from breaking a leg !! to reset the rcd in middle of the night i will !!! but only if its to current regs etc !!!

i am an electrcian /mechanic /plumber who thought was looking at installing a cpl of rads in the bedrooms !!! diversion took place wen was asked to look at electrics as he had a new electric hob fitted and felt the chap dint do a pro job !! not even going there on this thread !!

question is split load board pme earth ??? its borderline and some else has taken the route of TT here, i m verging that way but thought would see wat you all have to say !!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back