Pocket sliding fire door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Eclisse pocket sliding door with the pocket cavity installed in a wall between a bedroom and bathroom. The door/frame/jamb are supposed to be fire rated as it is a bedroom in a loft conversion. However the frame has been installed incorrectly. The frame has been assembled for a 125mm wall thickness but the jambs are for 100mm thickness so when finished there is a large gap around the door which fails the building inspection on fire regulations. Eclisse don’t make a fire rated 125mm door jamb.

My problem is that all finishing has been completed including engineered floor, decorating and tiling to the bathroom. Removing the wall to take apart the door frame is going to cause significant disruption and cost Does anyone have any ideas about how this could be done with minimal disruption. The builder is not taking responsibility and I am likely to be stuck finding someone else to put this right.

Attachments

• IMG_4669.jpeg
    IMG_4669.jpeg
    301.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4668.jpeg
    IMG_4668.jpeg
    248.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4665.jpeg
    IMG_4665.jpeg
    226.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4666.jpeg
    IMG_4666.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4667.jpeg
    IMG_4667.jpeg
    263.6 KB · Views: 59
Sponsored Links
1st obvious question.

Why is the builder not taking responsibility and has he been paid?

Any reason a carpenter can't make new jambs to fit the door better? Or cut a slot in the jamb in the correct place to make it closer to the door when installed?

Sponsored Links
Any reason a carpenter can't make new jambs to fit the door better? Or cut a slot in the jamb in the correct place to make it closer to the door when installed?
Possibly because it won't meet the fire regs requirements. Fire door inspectors, should you need to deal with them, are very picky about modifications to certified fire door sets and often will not allow them as it puts you into untested (and therefore uncertified) territory

I think before modifying anything the OP needs to talk to the door manufacturer to ascertain if such a modification would still allow the door to meet the specified fire rating. If it wiil, they can then run it past the building inspector to ensure that they are OK with this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back