Sliding door Help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I thought I would join up, at last, and ask for some help. Please!

I'm currently working my way through renovating our house, and as its a small house space saving is important.

I had to remove the half brick/half stud wall between the bathroom and a bedroom due to how badly it was built (brick part of the wall, I assume, was added when central heating was fitted mid 80's to spread the weight of the vast water tank above, now removed).

As I was replacing the stud wall anyway I thought I'd fit a pocket door to the bedroom, but decided it would't leave me the strength I needed, from the wall, to support the ceiling joists above.

So it's not as nice but a sliding door mounted on the inside of the bedroom wall will do. But I can't picture in my head a way of doing it nicely? I haven't fitted the door lining yet so my options are open. If I put a lining in and fit architrave and skirting as normal, then the door would have to clear the architrave which means when the door is closed it will be sitting away from the lining by some distance?

I wondered about letting one door jamb sit slightly proud of the finished plasterboard and not have architrave? Just butt the plasterboard against the jamb, plaster, and seal. That side would always be behind the door. And the opposite jamb leave proud enough for the door to slide up to as a stop?

Can't find any pictures on-line, or an explanation.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back