Door frame fitted wrong way - Please advise on how to resolve

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

So - complete disaster: door frame was fitted so it opens into hallway rather than into room. A silly error but the frame can't be ripped out (plastered in, time constraint, etc,). I was wondering whether I should 'route out' the jambs across all 3 edges and use the 'new' dimensions to fit a door and nail new jambs in afterwards.

Another option is to fill in the recess where the door would currently fit creating a new (albeit narrower) opening and do as above: nail new jambs in.

The door hasn't been purchased but the frame was fitted for a standard 78x30" door.

Are there any alternatives? Please advise

Sponsored Links
By far the quickest and easiest way is to pop your architraves off and remove and refit door frame then refit the architraves.

Fitting another frame inside the existing frame can be done but its a pain in the ass to do so and can restrict moving furniture about.
You will need a wider architrave to cover where the old one has been and both of the frames.

As for the router route its all to easy to slip with the router and screw up the frame as well as having to finish off the bottom of the legs by using chisels.

Are you saying you have a new door jamb with a pre-routed stop? Normally with new doorways the aperture/casing is flat all round, so the door can be fitted either way, then you nail on a bit of stripwood to create the door stop after the door is hung. Is that not the case here?

Sponsored Links
Do as Roger says, you shouldn't cause too much damage to the plaster

yep archs off,recip saw the fixings,spin the frame round refix jobs a gooden.

Taking frame out is not an option as the the overhead section is plastered for which a box was built and rests onto the top section of the door frame. Normally a glass pane would go here but we plastered it over and removal of frame will just cause a mess - time is a huge factor.

Im thinking of simply 'filling' the pre-routed jambs with a suitable strip of wood and using the 'new' opening as my door width. Those nail-in jambs will be used to create the stops later. Its a bathroom so doesn't need to be too wide. I see this as my quickest option - anyone agree?

P.s. There are no architraves yet as its a new install

If you don't mind the narrow door then then would certainly be quick. You don't even *need* to fill in the existing rebate, if you don't mind the aesthetics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back