Can I fit a narrower back door? (how?)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Completely redecorating the kitchen including fitting a new composite back door. I somehow need to try and make the wall next to the door 20mm longer so the kitchen units will fit.

I am sure I am not the first person to have this challenge but can't find any suggestions about how to resolve it. Clearly the obvious choice is to design a kitchen that fits! However, all 7 designers who've tried to make the most of our small kitchen all run out of space on that wall.

My thoughts
  1. Cement a row of spacers onto the wall thereby narrowing the gap. (extending the wall) challenge there is that would need to be all sorted before I can measure the new back door size.
  2. Get a door made with a wider frame and then dot and dab plasterboard onto the inside
  3. Take the whole wall at the back of the house back to brick. Put a minimal skim of plaster on and hope that adding a thicker layer of plaster to the door jamb gives me 20mm extra
Any one got any ideas?

Thanks
Phil

Sponsored Links
cut 20mm off the back of the worktop so it fits into the space available. I will guess that you are looking at 600mm worktop.

Examine the unit carcases to see how deep they really are. Apart from Ikea, it is normal for kitchen units to be built with space at the back for pipes to fit.

Draw some diagrams of what you mean and attach here.

Thanks for that. And that would have worked. However, it's a width issue not depth. Got 1800mm of units and a 1782mm gap.

I can post a diagram if that helps later

I have in the past had a joiner reduce the width of a kitchen unit for me. Obviously the carcass is easy to do but we had cottage style doors with an arch at the top, He cut the door into 4 corners, Reduced the sizes to suit then tongue and grooved the edges and glued it all back together.

He really did an amazing job of it and we couldn't see any of the joins. It will depend on what sort of door you are using though.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Completely redecorating the kitchen including fitting a new composite back door. I somehow need to try and make the wall next to the door 20mm longer so the kitchen units will fit.

I am sure I am not the first person to have this challenge but can't find any suggestions about how to resolve it. Clearly the obvious choice is to design a kitchen that fits! However, all 7 designers who've tried to make the most of our small kitchen all run out of space on that wall.

My thoughts
  1. Cement a row of spacers onto the wall thereby narrowing the gap. (extending the wall) challenge there is that would need to be all sorted before I can measure the new back door size.
  2. Get a door made with a wider frame and then dot and dab plasterboard onto the inside
  3. Take the whole wall at the back of the house back to brick. Put a minimal skim of plaster on and hope that adding a thicker layer of plaster to the door jamb gives me 20mm extra
Any one got any ideas?

Thanks
Phil

Number 2

Get the door made with a larger than normal frame extender or add-on normally 20mm as standard but you could get a 30/40/50mm but depends what the Fabricators use then dot n dab some plasterboard to the reveal of the door, hey presto your walls longer

Thanks for that gazman. We're going for vinyl wrap and the unit in question is a 1200mm drawer unit. Chopping the drawer fronts down isn't an option. :(

The supplier says that the mfr won't do one off units and the next size down is a 1000mm unit. I will check directly with the mfr though.

Still welcome thoughts on alternatives.

Phil

vinyl wrap :(

Start saving up for the replacements now.

You can buy made-to-order units, or units from other suppliers, and fit your chosen doors to them, there are standard sizes

I expect it would be much cheaper to get one custom made kitchen door than a new composite door.
You could probably get all custom made doors for the extra £400-700ish cost price of a comp door

Gazman.. Thanks again.

The back door needs replacing anyway. I just rang the door suppliers and I can get a 25mm frame extender which solves the problem.

Just for completeness I have emailed JJO who are the kitchen manufacturers and asked if they can do one off drawer fronts. If they do I will have a choice of solutions!

Thanks for all the advice.

Phil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back