Ordering and installing an aluminium back door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to replace an rotting wooded back door with an all glass aluminium one. Tempted to do it myself - have successfully done the same with a wood->uPVC in the past.

Firstly - does anyone know of reputable suppliers?

Secondly, I want to work out a couple of details that I'm not quite sure about.

The current door is positioned with the jamb flush to the interior wall surface, ie the door is set into the recess when looking from outside. This means the current door can collide with the outside edge of the aperture when it opens beyond about 100deg. With a narrower framed alu door, this could be more like 90 deg. Should I set the new frame closer to the outside wall, or is it better just to put a stop in to prevent over-opening? My instinct is to keep the door set back to the interior surface for better protection from the elements.

The aperture is rendered up to the jambs, so it's not possible to take an accurate measure for specifying the new frame dimensions. Should I remove all the render back to the bare brick work and then re-render after? The render is not in great condition anyway.

The current wooden threshold sits on a concrete step. Do I need to add any dampcourse? There hasn't been any history of damp ingress and all instructions I've seen only talk about dampcourse during the build rather than when replacing a door.

Do I need any approvals for this? It's a kitchen door.

Many thanks,

John

Sponsored Links
I'm planning on getting mine from slideandfold.co.uk. I've not ordered anything from them yet, but I've visited them, spoken to their technical support etc. and so far they've been very helpful.

Not really qualified to answer on the other questions as I'm just learning all this stuff myself too!

T.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can quote supply only either aluk or origin doors.

No dpc needed just sit the door on a good squeeze of sealant and put an add on to the side of the door

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back