Any way of adjusting this door?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an aluminium/glass back door made by Winkhaus which appears a little too large for its frame. The edge of the door catches on the jamb and the 'hooks' that lock it top and bottom also hit their adjustable faceplates on the jamb and sometimes prevent the door from being opened at all, especially in hot weather. I can't see any adjuster on the hinges or the frame, am I missing something? The only fix I can see is to remove the top and bottom faceplates which will give a little more clearance.
In the second picture I tried to show the top 'hook' hitting the faceplate but it was a bit difficult to get the angle. The third picture shows the jamb opposite the handle, you can see the marks where the door has scraped it.
Thank you for any help.

Sponsored Links
In your first photo, of the hinge, the lower fixed to the frame part, with six screws. I suspect those screws might screw into a thick steel threaded plate, inside the frame. The steel plate is captive, but allows for some movement. If you slacken the six screws just a little, and tap the hinge out/to the left, it should prevent the hinge rubbing.

Thanks, I hadn't noticed that hinge rubbing that appears to be an additional problem. I will give it a go.

Sponsored Links
Not sure about this as might be an artifact of the photo, but...

In the third picture, which shows the jamb opposite the handle and you can see the marks where the door has scraped it,
... isnt that metal 'lip' (between screw one and scre two counting down from the top) supposed to be under the upper section of the metal frame?

Take out the three lower screws and take off the section and put it on again at an angle so the lip of metal sits under the uppper section. And it is all then flat.

I agree it does look that way but I tried it and that whole section is deeper than the rest of the metal plate thing. I took another picture to show this. I guess I could grind its edges down and then it would work as you suggest.
Maybe they used the wrong part when the door was installed.

See if the hinge pin has allen key holes at the top or underneath, the pin may be like an offset cam and turning the pin should move the door sideways, I'd be very surprised if there wasn't any sideways adjustment.

Oh and for your info Winkhaus is only the manufacturer of the locking system not the actual aluminium frame

Edit - You could try speaking to a supplier of the hinges who might be able to shed some light?

Last edited:
crank39 Thanks very much for the link I have sent them an email asking about adjustment.

Last edited:
Well at least I have alleviated the hinge rubbing issue using Harry's suggestion - it shifted only a tiny amount but seems enough.
I've worked around the problem with the hooks not releasing from their keeps by removing the keeps for now. I'm thinking of buying a new Winkhaus Trulock for the door in the hope that with a new one the top and bottom hooks would retract fully when the handle is pulled down. That would eliminate the worst of the door opening trauma.
I also noticed that the keeps have spacers behind them (first photo) and if these were removed and the keeps moved a little (second photo gives an idea) then that would leave a bit more clearance between door and jamb. All sounds a bit fiddly though, the holes for the keeps in the frame would have to be enlarged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back