Composite Front door adjustable or not

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My front composite door is hitting the frame at the top above the handle, not sure if this can be adjusted through the hinges, please see attached photos for more details.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_115547.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115547.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_20200507_115520.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115520.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_20200507_115506.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115506.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_20200507_115402.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115402.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_20200507_115339.jpg
    IMG_20200507_115339.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 284
Sponsored Links
Hi , Yes that door can be adjusted on the hinges. on your third picture you can see two large cross head screws, they are your adjustment screws.you will have a set on each hinge. You will need to adjust the top and bottom hinge but unlikely the middle one.Mark a datum mark in pencil on the frame and door sash , this will give you a point to return to if it all goes wrong! turn each screw a quarter of a turn and see which way the door goes , it may hit more or it may start to miss the frame, it will be clear which way you need to turn the screws after that initial adjustment . I usually start with the tophinge set of screws. You may need to alter the bottom hinge screws to allow free moment but i think you should be alright with those hinges

Hi , Yes that door can be adjusted on the hinges. on your third picture you can see two large cross head screws, they are your adjustment screws.you will have a set on each hinge. You will need to adjust the top and bottom hinge but unlikely the middle one.Mark a datum mark in pencil on the frame and door sash , this will give you a point to return to if it all goes wrong! turn each screw a quarter of a turn and see which way the door goes , it may hit more or it may start to miss the frame, it will be clear which way you need to turn the screws after that initial adjustment . I usually start with the tophinge set of screws. You may need to alter the bottom hinge screws to allow free moment but i think you should be alright with those hinges

Thanks Ronniecabers,
Just found out that the top hinge got cross head screws and the bottom two hinges got hex head screws, one of the screw in the bottom hinge was worn, so could not adjust the bottom hinge, will try to get a hex bit which can rotate it, or maybe change the hinges but not sure if that's possible on these doors.

If the top is screw heads and others are hex ( Allen keys ) , then it sounds like either the top hinge has been changed or the bottom two ( my guess is the top. So in answer to whether the hinges can be replaced , yes they can , we have replaced many varying types of hinges on upvc and Composite doors over the years

Sponsored Links
Yes you are right, it's the top one which looks a bit out of place and different.
Are these current ones called butt hinge.?
Can you please advise if I just change one or all three of them and what are the best hinges out there and are they easy to replace.

These are indeed butt hinges, in theory you could get away with replacing one only , but in my honest opinion , all three is best , as then they all match. As goes the best type, a lot of ' butt ' hinges are unbranded so its usually a case of finding one that matches the existing measurements. If you look on e Bay there are plenty available , and many of the sellers show diagrams so that you can double check measurements. You will also need to take into account the angle on the plate that fixes to the door sash, sometimes they are 5 deg or 10 deg.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back