Point of order

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the attention of the moderators.

Today I posted a story on the subject of lady drivers.
My sister hit an male driver on the nose and he ended up with a bloody nose. Where the word bloody should have appeared there was in it's place something to the effect b*****y. May I please ask, why you chose to censor that word. I think the grammar was correct.
In the great big scheme of life it's no big deal but I can't get about today because my arthritis is high up the scale of pain and i am board sh****"s Your site is probably the best I have come across but there again I don't drink Carlsburg.

BE HAPPY

Sponsored Links
I don't think it has anything to do with the moderators, most swear or unsuitable words are auto censored and depends how the software is programmed maybe?

Anyway we know what the missing words are :LOL:

Thanks Masona.
My son has just explained just it to me as well.

As I said I'm not the sharpest knife in the draw. Just like the site.

BE HAPPY

Sponsored Links
That happened to me recently. It's just software, no human brain is involved. In fact i don't think the mods are here much, they are trusting us not to say poo bum willy too often

My main beef is with a fairly mild word, rhymes with rugger and officially means bum-sex. Whenever it is auto-censored, it removes any aspect of tense from it, and it just becomes b****r, and doesn't make sense.

Also found the other day that the word that means a bit rubbish, and rhymes with gritty, is just changed to the letter s.

Another word, rhymes with blink and could be used to mean someone from China but wasn't when I used it, was starred out completely.

Have also seen it a few times when it substitutes an alternative word, and people end up posting sentences like 'I was having a rubbish'.

Mind you, I've noticed that friends reunited changes (presumably) pakistan to ****stan. I know why it happens, but it seems a bit crazy seeing as our auto-censor lets it through.

I tried to post about the little Dutch boy who stuck his finger in a wall to stop the water but the site wouldn't let me type d y k e!

I seem to remember that at one point, anyone in Scunthorpe was prevented from using AOL for pretty much this reason.

I was scrolling through a list of addresses on my pc some time ago and as the window wasn't enlarged it was only showing the first 5 letters of each town. Gave me quite a shock when I got to Penistone!

Actually - none of this is trivial.

It is braindead, it is irresponsible, it is an appalling attack on the richness of our language and it makes the moderators look like complete morons.

Do not simply put up with it, or have a whinge here - directly address the moderators, demand that they explain themselves and stop acting like idiots.

They will do neither, of course, but it does no harm to have them constantly reminded of their incompetence and ignorance.

The other thing you can do, which works sometimes, is to fool the software into thinking that you haven't used the blo.ody word in the first place.

hermes said:
I tried to post about the little Dutch boy who stuck his finger in a wall to stop the water but the site wouldn't let me type d y k e!
Dyke.

williams89 said:
For the attention of the moderators.

Today I posted a story on the subject of lady drivers.
My sister hit an male driver on the nose and he ended up with a b****y nose. Where the word b****y should have appeared there was in it's place something to the effect b*****y. May I please ask, why you chose to censor that word. I think the grammar was correct.
In the great big scheme of life it's no big deal but I can't get about today because my arthritis is high up the scale of pain and i am board sh****"s Your site is probably the best I have come across but there again I don't drink Carlsburg.

BE HAPPY

you mean bloody?

masona said:
I don't think it has anything to do with the moderators, most swear or unsuitable words are auto censored and depends how the software is programmed maybe?
By an idiot.

In the context above, "bloody" was not a swear word, and removing it was totally unjustified.

Sponsored Links
Back