Pointing 1932 house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I'm having my roof replaced on a 1932 house and while the scaffolding is up I thought I'd do some pointing as I have quite a few gaps.
I've checked the mortar and it fizzes in vinegar where it needs replacing (chimney seems to be cement but doesn't need doing). I was looking for some advice on what to buy in terms of mortar (easily available and easy mix would be best from somewhere in Nottingham) and tools. The main areas are around the cornerstones as in pictures. Seen a few post dating don't use a mortar rake and use chisel and saw but may be difficult to get around the stones.
And advice especially on mortar, tools, techniques and best YouTube videos to watch would be much appreciated.
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20240221_135742.jpg
    IMG_20240221_135742.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20240221_135742.jpg
    IMG_20240221_135742.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 31
Sponsored Links
Get yourself a tuck pointer and a pointing hawk

I’m not saying this set, but these are the products

If it’s line mortar you will know as it comes out easily with a hammer and chisel, it’s soft

Not sure about mix

Get yourself a tuck pointer and a pointing hawk

I’m not saying this set, but these are the products

If it’s line mortar you will know as it comes out easily with a hammer and chisel, it’s soft

Not sure about mix
Yep it rubs out quite easily so chisel should do it. Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back