Pointing footpath joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it the wrong season for pointing footpath joints with dry sand & cement (brushing between the joints and then misting with water?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
there is no season which is right for pointing like that, do it properly with a semi-dry mix or you'll be on here in spring asking again. If you don't have time and need a brush in type product use an appropriate polymeric mortar like rompox or similar.

there is no season which is right for pointing like that, do it properly with a semi-dry mix or you'll be on here in spring asking again. If you don't have time and need a brush in type product use an appropriate polymeric mortar like rompox or similar.

Thanks - Could you elaborate on the correct way to do this?

Sure, the best way if using cement is to mix it up as a semi dry mixture so that it if you squeeze a ball of it in your hand it stays together but doesn't ooze water. Personally i prefer to mix it up a tad wetter than that and leave it on a wooden board to dry out a touch as i feel it mixes better this way.

Then using a combination of large and small trowels, work this into the joint and then most importantly with a firm pressure strike the joint with a jointer/iron (available in any merchant or even decent hardware store)
This will make sure your joint is full up and there are no voids and also bring a little cement to the surface which will harden the joint better.

If you want to brush in have a look at rompox/ marshalls weatherpoint365 or gtfk. they are much more expensive but obviously much quicker.

Sponsored Links
Did mine last month, bought a pointing gun (similar to a mastic gun but bigger) and did the lot in half hour. Just ensure the mix is spot on and use small grain building sand not the gritty stuff.
This way you can try dodge the bad weather

Its good to hear first hand reviews and maybe mention the product name you bought as there are a few different types.

what sized area was it?

Its good to hear first hand reviews and maybe mention the product name you bought as there are a few different types.

what sized area was it?

Will forward details tomorrow as in garage, also the cement gets right to the bottom of all the gaps making a good joint (bought the gun from staks). If the mix is spot on it makes it a very easy job, if not it clogs the gun easy. I mixed 3 to 1 with building sand from Selco (mate in trade said its a finer sand and good for pointing) than added plastisiser (cheap stuff from Selco) and i would never go back to the trowel job.
area was about 4mtrs sq, took an hour to point, left it 2 hours then went over with a pointing stick and swept up any overfill. No marks are left on the slabs at all (coloured paving, chinese stuff).

I ask because i have used one before and it was ok but filling it constantly was a hassle and for a small area i would have been quicker doing it by hand. But i do a lot of patios and am always looking for better ways, hence why i have settled on the higher end polymeric mortars as they are expensive but when used in a professional context work out more cost effective.

r896neo";p="2197171 said:

Ever Build Pro Gun Point Kit, works a treat !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back