Pointing gaps in a footpath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently had a new flagged footpath laid and there are slight gaps between the flags and grass is growing up through them.

Does anyone know the best way to fill these gaps - would a dry sand and cement mixed brushed back and forth until the gap is filled be suitable?

If so, what ratio of materials should be used?

Sponsored Links
the best way is brushing dry sand and cement in... it'd take hours trying to push cement in with a trowel !!

but i use 3:1 sand and cement mix.

then you can either lightly water or leave it for moisture from the air/ground to get to it.

Don't do it if heavy rain is forcast...

Shall I manually pull out the weeds first or use weedkiller later in the spring when it is warmer?

We used this quick setting stuff a few years ago, got it from a local builders merchant and it was all done the next day.

had a few bad experiences of using sand and cement and leaving it on a nice day, going out and it chucking it down and making a right mess!

Which ever you go for i'd cover the area with waterproof sheets until it becomes hard.

Sponsored Links
Don't consider trying to fill the gaps until the weeds are out, either manually or by killing them with pathclear etc.

How wide are the gaps?

Unless the gaps are very thin (ie 5mm or less) I would advise doing it the right way, namely using a semi-damp mortar mix, pushed in and smoothed with a pointng tool. The dry mix method you mention looks fine for a while but tends to crumble very quickly. You'll be re-doing it again within months (if you can bothered).

depends how big an area you have but I have head great things about a german product called 'romex' Just mix dry brush in and leave.

three options

1:- a geo-fix chemical type pointing mix.....pile of ****e and watse of money

2:- dry brush in a mix of cement and sand......pile of ****e that will not last, but hey its quick and easy. Until you do it all again next year

3:- get on your hands and knees and do as wabbit poo says. Only tip i would give on top is to use a 6-8" length of featheredge board to get it in the gaps with. very quick, neat and strong.

why do you think professionals mainly use option 3?

I recently had a new flagged footpath laid and there are slight gaps between the flags and grass is growing up through them.

Yorky, you said in the OP that the flags had slight gaps. Typically, what would the gaps measure?

Yorky, you said in the OP that the flags had slight gaps. Typically, what would the gaps measure?

They are 5mm at the very most so it will be difficult to point them.

If you only brush the drymix in it will stain the surface of the flags and you will have weeds growing out again next year.
Do it right and get on your benders and point it in after cleaning out the cracks.
Then when youve pushed and compacted as much as you can make a smooth finished flat joint, and you will not have any more trouble, and the satisfaction of a job well done.

Brushing in is the devils work.

The returned one says,
Brushing in is the work of the architect of confusion.

The book of the Wall, chepter 7 verse 23.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back