Pointing, Mastic and Accrington Brick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm about to get some prices from local builders for some pointing. When I bought the house it was picked up on the survey as being something that needed attention... and I figure its best to do it before I get my new double glazing fitted.

What I'm unsure about is exactly what I should be expecting the builders to offer to do... the brick work is accrington brick - not sure how well known that is outside the North West of England. The cement seams aren't just cement they are mastic. I'm told that typically when the mastic is replaced linseed oil is applied to the bricks.

I've had a quick look online and found this http://www.basf-cc.co.uk/NR/rdonlyres/A0E0F860-E884-4465-8CE0-A04565BC9866/97278/FebmastGPTDS.pdf
Is this the kind of thing that I should be expecting the builder to use? Or can they make/mix mastic themselves?

Many of the seams are very fine so I assume they'd need to grind out the brick to achieve the minimum joint width of 6mm?

What are the things I need to ask when talking to the builders?

thanks

Ian

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back