Pointless weep-holes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Builder has been dealing with a low retaining wall which bowed out.I believe the issue was that retaining wall was the problem as no weep holes were created.The builder has taken down the facing wall and built a replacement and has put in some weep-holes,even cementing in some small lengths(100mm) of grey waste pipe.
Am I correct to think that the problem has been fudged,given that the retaining wall is faulty?This wall belongs to neighbours opposite and is about 900mm,built in Marshall blocks of artificial stone.

Sponsored Links
Weep holes are pointless unless the area immediately behind the wall is properly drained.

But lack of weepholes or drainage is not in itself a reason for a wall to fail or bow.

You say he's taken down the facing wall, does that mean a backing wall was left up? If so was that bowed? If not, then the problem was with the facing not the wall as a whole.

In was not around when wall was built,but would imagine the creation of weep holes at the time of building was a cheap simple measure.Surely even an undrained backfill will benefit froma weephole given water's propensity to pass though permeable layers.I do not think the back-wall was bowed but did not inspect closely.

In was not around when wall was built,but would imagine the creation of weep holes at the time of building was a cheap simple measure.Surely even an undrained backfill will benefit froma weephole given water's propensity to pass though permeable layers.I do not think the back-wall was bowed but did not inspect closely.
No the ground behind the wall will drain naturally down the the water table regardless - and that water table is going to be below the ground level on your side of the wall.

Weep holes, and the associated drainage are more to keep the wall from staying saturated, and the aesthetics and issues related to that - salt stains, frost damage etc.

Ground water is not pushing the wall forward like a dam. Gravity pushes ground water downwards not sideways.

Sponsored Links
What happens if the water meets an impermeable layer and begins to accumulate,adding to saturation of soil etc causing "heave".I am no expert but I thought gravity exerted pull on water and the push you refer to is a consequence of atmospheric pressure.By the way its not my wall.

Ground water like any fluid under pressure ( due to the weight of water above it ) exerts a force in all directions, including horizontal
It's under downward under pressure from gravity.

This water is being held within soil, not a container.

You are contradicting yourself,and having studied A -level geomorphology I will rely on my owm knowledge,but thanks anyway.

If there was no containment then the earth and water would slump down ( just like it would if there was no retaining wall )
And no one could dig a foundation trench because
  1. the sides would just fall in
  2. the trench would fill to the top with water from somewhere

A trench and retaining wall are not quite the same thing.

Shuttering comes to mind.
But the principle is the same ... "If there was no containment then the earth and water would slump down ( just like it would if there was no retaining wall )"

The point is in this scenario the water moves downwards and is not thrusting sideways against the wall. Likewise for the actual ground, apart of the small oblique section of ground down to about 600mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back